Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Slant needle machines question >

Slant needle machines question

Slant needle machines question

Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM

I think tomorrow I will check my boxes and see what cams I have/need. Like I NEED more stuff to do....LOL
Old 05-08-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
I wish I did, unfortunately, no extras of 17. I did check eBay on there are a few listed right now. Some are priced real high, but two aren't bad - a buy it now $10.95, free shipping and one for $6.99 plus $2.69 shipping, but it's auction style and you to wait 6 days to see if you and the price could go higher. One is going for $22.50 plus $1.95 shipping. Didn't realize it was that popular!
I don't think it's that it's that popular, it's that it was an add on cam. I saw a chart that said that the 600/600E might have been the only machine it shipped with by default. That means there's simply fewer of them around.

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
I found the #22 cam but do not have the special pressure foot to use with it. Then I read that it will not work in a 401 anyway? It is a knit stitch I think. The 401 is my Mom's and when knits became popular (around 1970) she got a basic Kenmore with knit stitches and has used it ever since on top of the Singer Cabinet with the 401 in it. I was hoping this #22 cam and foot would sew knits for her but I guess not. I have an extra 0 came from somewhere too, but the 401 doesn't need it.
I thought it was cam 23 that didn't work with the 401? And that one I have to try in the 411 only because I read somewhere that the reason it doesn't work is because of the lack of chainstitching capability. The 411g chains so I thought maybe it was worth trying.

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
I think tomorrow I will check my boxes and see what cams I have/need. Like I NEED more stuff to do....LOL
Oh pfft! Think of all the trouble we're keeping you out of by giving you a new quest.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 PM

Two slant machines here, a 620 Golden Touch & Sew and a 648 Touch& Sew. IIRC I gave the 620 to Olivia. I think the "Golden" meant a couple extra features over the regular machines but I'm not certain. I've got two partial sets of cams and attachments for them. My 648 is my money pit machine. Macybaby was kind enough to sell me the parts I needed for it when I first brought it home, it sewed for the next few weeks then one evening the top vertical gear in it just disintegrated. I'll buy some new gears for it after I've caught up on a few other projects. I like the machine, it sewed well when it was working and I think it's worth fixing again. I could replace it for less money and trouble (I've already passed on a couple other Touch & Sews) but there's no guarantee the gears would be any better in those.
So far those are our only slant needle machines.
I haven't sewn on any other machines besides my old black straight stitchers to really notice a significant difference in visibility between slant needle machines and vertical yet. Only one thing to do-get more later model vertical needle machines so I can do a fair comparison between them.
Rodney
Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 AM

My family has a history of Singer Slant machines. I have my maternal Grandmother’s 404, and my Mother is still using her 301A. My wife’s main machines at home now are a 301A and a 401A, and her main shop machine is a pair of 401A machines that are alternated in and out of use as they need serviced. Our daughter and daughter-in-law both have a 401A. I have a 403A portable, a 301-1 Black shortbed, and a 301-2 Black longbed in my collection.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Two slant machines here, a 620 Golden Touch & Sew and a 648 Touch& Sew. IIRC I gave the 620 to Olivia. I think the "Golden" meant a couple extra features over the regular machines but I'm not certain. I've got two partial sets of cams and attachments for them. My 648 is my money pit machine. Macybaby was kind enough to sell me the parts I needed for it when I first brought it home, it sewed for the next few weeks then one evening the top vertical gear in it just disintegrated. I'll buy some new gears for it after I've caught up on a few other projects. I like the machine, it sewed well when it was working and I think it's worth fixing again. I could replace it for less money and trouble (I've already passed on a couple other Touch & Sews) but there's no guarantee the gears would be any better in those.
So far those are our only slant needle machines.
I haven't sewn on any other machines besides my old black straight stitchers to really notice a significant difference in visibility between slant needle machines and vertical yet. Only one thing to do-get more later model vertical needle machines so I can do a fair comparison between them.
Rodney
Rodney, I've got a 758 sitting in my garage that I'd be happy to strip, or give to you for stripping, if it would help.