Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 830 fixed!!! >

Bernina 830 fixed!!!

Bernina 830 fixed!!!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Default Bernina 830 fixed!!!

In the end of March, beginning of April, I posted about all the trouble I have had with my Bernina 830 and the embroidery module since purchasing it almost 5 years ago. I had it in for servicing 8-9 times in the first year or so. Thread breakage was such a problem. Well, after getting all new thread and eventually they changed the hook, it was a lot better but not perfect. At least I could sew. I was resolved that the embroidery part of it was a several thousand dollar mistake. I purchased it about an hours drive away so I was not happy with all my car trips to the dealer! Well, I retired Dec 31st and have been enjoying it and tried once again to embroider, only to have it keep coming up with a sensor, which I thought was thread breakage but the dealer said is bobbin empty. It would come up 100+ times in a 3x3 embroidery piece! Seeing that part of the warranty (5year) was up in May, I asked for suggestions on this board on if I should send it back to bernina for servicing or go back to my dealer as I decided I really should be able to embroider on this expensive machine. Well, I took it in for servicing with a list and told them if they couldn't fix it, I wanted it sent back to Bernina. They worked on it, said it was fixed, I brought it home and it wasn't.

So the short of this situation AND A FIX FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR MACHINE, is to be persistent and insistent. I went back to the dealer prepared with a quilting sample, embroidery hoops already sandwiched with the stabilizer, my walking foot, fabric for sewing and my thread. I set up in their classroom area (no classes going on) and they worked with me on and off for 4 1/2 hours. Initially, I worked with the salesman and showed him the problem with the embroidery sensor. Eventually, the technician got involved and they even called Bernina. There are apparently 8 sensors. Also the tension for the embroidery module is different than regular sewing. They also calibrated the embroidery hoops. With all the servicing they did, then the walking foot wasn't working right. So they fixed that. EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT NOW! I am adjusting the top tension as needed. I always do a test sample and that is ok with me. You don't know how happy I am after so much frustration.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 AM

Congratulations! It sounds like a nightmare to get it straightened out though
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 AM

There are lots of people unhappy with their 830's. A yahoo group has been set up for those with defective 830's. Mine was in the shop more in the first 2 years than in my sewing room. It's been behaving well after having 5 sensors replaced, two springs, embroidery mother board and multiple other parts and repairs. It's always fun when people chime in that most problems are due to user error. LOL. It's not user error when the hardware on the machine dies or parts literally fall out in your lap!

You should look into the defective yahoo group.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Guild members in my guild that bought a new 830 Bernina have regretted it. Unless you have a dealer you know and can trust don't rush in to buying one.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:07 AM

I can't imagine spending that much money and having the frustrations that you have had. Glad to hear you are in working order.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 AM

That must have been so frustrating! Especially when you pay big bucks for the Bernina name thinking you would have a quality sewing machine. I guess not. Glad you persevered and got the problem fixed. Now have fun on your machine and enjoy your retirement!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

This topic got me to wondering if there is a lemon law for things other than cars, and there may be!
http://www.lemon-law-types.com/appli...emon-laws.html

You are MUCH more patient than I am!! I'm really glad you are now pleased.

Jan in VA
Old 06-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
This topic got me to wondering if there is a lemon law for things other than cars, and there may be!
http://www.lemon-law-types.com/appli...emon-laws.html

You are MUCH more patient than I am!! I'm really glad you are now pleased.

Jan in VA
Jan, some members of the defective 830 group are filing with the Better Business bureau and looking into other options.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought my Bernina 830 4 years ago. For the first two years my thread kept breaking. I was so frustrated! My dealer is 2 1/2 hours away, so it's hard to go to him when I need to. Well, I finally took it to him with the thread on it that kept breaking and he chuckled and grabbed a 100 needle and put it on and NO MORE BREAKING!!! He told me the thread was too thick for a 70 needle. Fixed my problem right up. I haven't had any other problems with my 830 other than that and that was owner error completely. Now I use 50 wt. Prescencia thread on a cone with a 70 needle. It works just fine.

I haven't used the embroidery except in class at my dealer's shop. It works perfectly great! But that's at their shop. Now when I have to do it at home, I might have a little trouble. But my 830 has behaved well for me. I'm so glad I bought her!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I am so delighted that things finally worked out for you. I love both of my Berninas and neither had any sort of bug when I brought them home. But then I bought them before embroidery units were produced by Bernina..