Bernina 930.....fixed?

Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Bernina 930.....fixed?

I took the fan motor out and gave it to the husband. I believe he said the cover was off of the bearings so he popped it back in. He also said it was pretty clean. I'm in the process of putting it back together. I hate plastic. The black plastic frame the motor goes in broke in three places even though I was super careful. I know how fragile plastic can be. If the glue job doesn't work, then I'm giving it back to the husband and he can use his roughneck ingenuity to secure it.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow sometime if I'll be able to use this machine. I told my husband that I would sell my 221 featherweight to keep this one running.
Thank you to everyone for your help and advice.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:49 PM

It works! Thank you everyone.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:24 AM

Is this a 930 Record? I did not realize there was plastic in it!
Makes me sad. Thought it was all metal.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM

There are some white plastic gears inside the machine. I don't know if there is plastic in the motor. I didn't get to get a look inside the motor. There is plastic holding the fan motor to the machine. That's what broke on me. I did manage to get the superglue to hold on the side closest to the belt and because of that and the fact that this is one awesomely smooth machine, I will keep it. I wouldn't feel good about selling it just in case the motor breaks again.
I am however going to part with my 221-. It's a 1957 model. So beautiful, but I have to let it go.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Kathy, I'm glad you got your machine sewing!

They're not plastic gears, they're a "nylon alloy." Jut the camstack gear and the vertical shaft gear. Both of which can be replaced with "after market" gears from Brewer that work great. I know the mechanical Berninas have had them for at least 60 years.