Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt/embroider.... >

How would you quilt/embroider....

How would you quilt/embroider....

Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 PM

Default How would you quilt/embroider....

...a mitered border? I'm looking for suggestions.

I have just completed piecing a Radiant Star (Lone Star) quilt with corner stars, 2 inch wide diamond strip borders & 6 inch wide plain borders. There are also plain extention panels that match the plain borders. The quilt measures 102 x 92. I plan to do Stitch in the Ditch for a lot of it. I plan on doing machine embroidery feather patterns in the plain borders, large triangles around the main star & extension panels. My 6 inch wide plain borders have mitered corners. The 2 inch wide diamond borders have corner stones. There are 2 sets of 2 inch diamond borders & 2 sets of 6 inch plain borders on each side of the quilt.

Should I do SID on the miter corner & not do a corner embroidery design or not do SID & do a corner embroidery design?

Thanks,
Feather3
Old 06-09-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Wish you had posted a photo. It helps to see the quilt. I have done many Lone Star and Broken star quilts.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Trying to post photos of my quilt. It's so big my husband couldn't hold it up to get a shot of the whole quilt top.
Attached Thumbnails img_4419-1.jpg   img_4421-3.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 AM

anyone have suggestion on the mitered corner?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 AM

Beautiful quilt!
I'm not to the quilting stage on the lone star star top I inherited from my grandma that needs the piecing finished, so I have no words of wisdom in that department.
I did do a quick Google image search for quilting ideas for a lone star quilt, found some beautiful quilting! Here's the link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=quilt...iw=400&bih=600

Did you make yours using the strip piecing method, or by using templates? I've made a few mini lone stars, and the y-seams on them were tricky..I imagine doing it larger will be even more tricky...

Can't wait to see your finished product...
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 06-11-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
Beautiful quilt!
I'm not to the quilting stage on the lone star star top I inherited from my grandma that needs the piecing finished, so I have no words of wisdom in that department.
I did do a quick Google image search for quilting ideas for a lone star quilt, found some beautiful quilting! Here's the link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=quilt...iw=400&bih=600

Did you make yours using the strip piecing method, or by using templates? I've made a few mini lone stars, and the y-seams on them were tricky..I imagine doing it larger will be even more tricky...

Can't wait to see your finished product...
Kif
Thanks .

I used Eleanor Burns Radiant Star pattern & added to it. It's strip piecing. Wasn't hard to sew. You just need to mark & pin a lot. A word of caution if using EB's pattern.....there is zero room for mistakes. Seams must be exactly 1/4" or it throws the pattern off. I drew mine out on paper, changing the pattern & even drew my fabric/cuts on paper first. I added length panels & also made the triangles & corner squares bigger so there would be more background fabric beyond the main star tips. Measure twice, cut once.