Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitchers mini quilt room...got one? :) Bet you do! >

Stitchers mini quilt room...got one? :) Bet you do!

Stitchers mini quilt room...got one? :) Bet you do!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Default Stitchers mini quilt room...got one? :) Bet you do!

Another thread made me wonder if anyone else has as much fun as I do in my busy bag to go.
The no frills one; a ziplock bag, thread, prepped fabric, and scissors. Been there done it a lot.
Next step up, a plastic carton from the veggie or bakery section. Snap tight, work great.

But we are getting ready for retirement and I expect to be on the road a lot.
So I upsized my carry box to this cute Singer one.
Inside fits everything I need, including my 'toid tin for tools.

Currently I'm making little houses that will finish at three inches.
Currently in cheddars, I love orange this year.

the last photo is the houses I'm working on at the machine, these also will finish at three inches.

What do you use for your mini quilt room? What project do you have in it for pick up and go?
Attached Thumbnails busy-bag-outer-inner-tins.jpg   busy-bag-packed.jpg   busy-bag-ready-work.jpg   busy-bag-little-houses-project.jpg   paper-pieced-houses-finish-3-inches.jpg  

Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 AM

I noticed the most important- Werthers Original.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 AM

For a while I was into buying Longabeger baskets, won't tell you how many I have, but lets just say there are a lot. For about 2 years they came out with picnic baskets and pie baskets and purses with lids - all which I looked as and said, "Those will make wonderful sewing baskets" and would buy them. After the fourth one, I decided maybe I had enough. They had what they called "a small purse" which makes an excellent small sewing basket for my daughters that don't sew but may need to sew on a button sometime.

But if we are going somewhere and I know that I will want to sew by hand - I have a basket already to go. Currently there are hexagons for GFG, another one has diamonds for the tumbling block I Spy quilt I have been sewing on for years and a pre-printed alphabet embroidery quilt for the times I don't feel like either of the other two. Mine are not as neat as yours.

Once a bellboy was loading onto a cart with the rest of the luggage and I told him I had to carry it, if he dropped it I would have to do something horrible to him. Of course I said it with a smile, but meant every word.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-20-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't currently have a sewing take a-long project but when I do I use the plastic container from baby wipes. My take a-long right now is my crochet bag. I am working on a baby blanket.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I love the mini sewing room name for a go bag. I am into making hexies so I keep all my hex supplies in what else but a big pretty hexagon box. I never pass up an odd shape pretty box. I have different sizes of hexies in separate size zipper pouches each with needles, scissors, thread,and thimble. I can grab a bag from the box and go. Also the little red leather box on the table is perfect to hold all I need to make a dozen hexies that slips right in my purse.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479865[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479866[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2-photo-1-1-.jpg   1-photo-2.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Your little travel box is too darn cute. I will have to see what I can come up with now. I have a little old picnic basket that I got at a yard sale some years ago and it would be perfect for a traveling sewing room. What a great idea.

The house blocks are just fabulous. Please, please, please show us when you get it done!
peace

EDIT: I didn't see the hexy box when I posted and want to say that is another cute idea.

Last edited by ube quilting; 06-20-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Nope. If if doesn't fit in my pocket, I usually don't bother with it unless it's my bridge camera or DSLR.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I have several. A small fabric cooler (6 pack) for smaller projects. An old brief case that works for larger projects.it can carry a small cutting board and 6x12 ruler Since we're going to be moving in the next couple months, I've put a lot of my tools into a tool box that also holds my to go projects. I just open it up and grab what I need. It is clear tool box with different pockets so I can see where everything is. I also have a large make up bag for some of my embroidery projects. Pencil pockets for school binders are great for scissors and such since you can see through them. If you have old plastic glass cases those are good for pocket projects. Just today I saw a gal who does yarnwork and she has her yarn in large peanut butter (plastic)jars. She puts a hole in the lid and pulls her yarn thru it. Just something for those who do yarn work.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

CUTE !! I did all my traveling in my 20s, Since I don't drive anymore, I don't get around much any more. Have fun !!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:47 PM

Nothing fancy here. A baby wipe container for the hexagons I'm making for a table topper and a plastic bag for the yoyo supplies.