Why do you sew or quilt? >

Why do you sew or quilt?

Why do you sew or quilt?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Default Why do you sew or quilt?

At one time, it may have been to save money -

But it sure is not that way now!

I think I started out sewing in an attempt to get things to fit the way I wanted them to. (And that was when I still had a whistle-worthy body!) I didn't succeed very well at that - but I did learn a few things along the way.

I think I sew now because, unlike housework, laundry, and cooking - one can "finish" a project - and not have to redo it the next day or next week.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:57 AM

I'm just a hands-on, crafty, maker type person. I am always always always making something. What that "something" is tends to change every 5-6 years, but I'm always doing something.

For me, it's a necessary creative outlet. I've been this way my whole life, even as a child I would rather make something out of tape and paper than to play with toys people had bought for me. As a teenager I was cutting up my old clothes to sew little stuffed animals and performing reconstructive surgery on my sister's dolls when the dogs would get them. Now I'm a "grown up" so I have more expensive materials and tools to play with, but the drive to be creative is the same as it's always been.

As to why I picked up quilting specifically....quilting is in my blood, both of my grandmothers were quilters and we all loved and treasured the quilts we were given. Now they have both passed on and nobody in the family but me has picked up quilting. I feel both obligated and privileged to carry on the tradition. And it's nice that my family has a quilting history, my quilts are VERY well received within the family, even my most amateurish beginner quilts have been treasured. That gives me warm fuzzies. I am hopeful that my niece and/or nephew might some day take it up too, that would be wonderful to see it continue in the family for another generation.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:04 PM

I think I inherited the love of quilt making. My grandmother, mother and 4 aunts made quilts.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM

I simply enjoy making things. I've dabbled in a multitude of crafts but sewing and crocheting are my favorites.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM

I have always been a sewer, my Mom taught me to sew on her old Singer- wish I had that one now. When my oldest son was born, there was a quilting group that met in a local church one morning a week, and they had free babysitting. I registered and learned to quilt from those ladies who still meet almost 30 years later. I tried other crafty things too, like tole painting, but quilting called me back. Now I do some quilting related activity every day, I am fortunate to have a new Bernina 750QEE, a Tin Lizzie long arm and my Aurora 440QEE, my beloved Bernina 830 Record and an enormous stash. Oh- and a husband that enables me too.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

No quilters in my family and only one aunt sewed and didn't teach me. I took it in school. Got myself my first sewing machine in 1965 which I still have. Came into quilting when I retired 10 years ago and one of the sons said "now you can make me a quilt" what??? I don't quilt! Found a class and made him a quilt. I mainly quilt for my own enjoyment. I now have some vintage machines and enjoy the process - even the smell of the sewing machine oil. I do give away some quilts but mainly just satisfy the creative urge in myself.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:41 PM

I started sewing at 9 while in 4H and have enjoyed making things ever since. It was mostly clothes for me, then for my girls. Now my interests have expanded to make quilted things of all types as well as the occasional "mom will you make this?".. My time at the sewing machine is mental therapy/stress reliever and relatively cheap considering what they charge at a psychiatrist! My skills at quilting will never be at par with some of the wonderfully talented quilters I see here on the board....but...I do love seeing the face of a recipient when I give a quilt that is "exactly what I wanted".
Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM

To bring order and beauty into a chaotic world.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

i started making my own doll clothes in elementary school. i've always liked making my own clothes, too, once i was old enough to use my mom's machine. i grew to love creating something that was unlike anyone else's. i grew to love quilts while staying at my great aunt's home in the summer. so merging the two loves was natural.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:02 PM

I have always had a reverence for quilts. My mother nor grandmother ever made quilts. I had a great aunt who pieced quilts all her life. She made me a double wedding ring quilt when I got married. I treasure it. I started quilting on my own and have taken classes at the LQS to learn. I am still learning and try to make several quilts each year. Last year I made 14. I am behind on that schedule this year. I have made a quilt for each of my three children, my mother, and mother-in-law, and need to make two more to have all the grandkids one. Quilting is a joy to me. I just love making things. I knit and crochet too.