Old Machine prefers reverse

Old 07-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Default Old Machine prefers reverse

I have an old Pfaff1222 that I LOVE. I've sewn on it for years. Just recently it seems to prefer to have it's handwheel turned in reverse when I'm trying to lift threads or end my sewing. I've oiled it everywhere I can think to oil. I did some sewing, worked great and now it's doing it again. What am I missing??
Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Default In addition

Originally Posted by slowquilts View Post
I have an old Pfaff1222 that I LOVE. I've sewn on it for years. Just recently it seems to prefer to have it's handwheel turned in reverse when I'm trying to lift threads or end my sewing. I've oiled it everywhere I can think to oil. I did some sewing, worked great and now it's doing it again. What am I missing??
I have completely dismantled the machine, well, almost totally. It ran loose for a little while but when I screwed the outer covering back in, it got stiffer again. The machine has a hard time running slowly because it's stiff. It can go fast and it no longer "chirps" when going fast. I went all through the bobbin assembly, everything moving that I could reach from the top and the right side and from underneath. I am totally stumped. The first time it did this it was loose when I held the machine upside down. I flipped the reverse switch a few times while oiling it and it became loose all the time. Now, it's just stiff to turn the handwheel forward, then it slips loose through part of the rotation. ARGH
Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 PM

You mentioned a chirping sound at low speed? If you hold a stick to the machine and the other end to your ear you may be able to narrow down the location of the chirp. The fact that it got stiff to turn with the cover on tells me one of two things. Either the cover has something rubbing on it or tightening it down has warped the machine just enough to put pressure on something. Loosen up the cover and keep trying. You'll get it.
Rodney
Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. The chirping was actually at a fairly quick speed. It's just weird. Why would it loosen when held upside down? That's not happening this time though. It's just plain stiff. When I turn it by hand it starts stiff then loops around looser. I don't get it. I'm usually fairly handy so this just has me stumped. Thanks for any help you can give me. I absolutely love this old machine. It's the best machine EVER. My mom gave it to me. I've tried several other machines but always return to this one. Robyn
Old 07-05-2014, 06:07 PM

Double check the cam stack isn't cracked. It's is a common problem for this model. I have this machine and it's a great one.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Double check the cam stack isn't cracked. It's is a common problem for this model. I have this machine and it's a great one.
How do I check the cam stack? What do I look for?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by slowquilts View Post
How do I check the cam stack? What do I look for?
You look at the cam stack which is the long nylon part, with all the different patterns on it for the stitches. Rotate it if you can with the hand wheel and look for cracks.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Forgive my ignorance - but is it electric? Just a thought in my mind is sometimes how the plug got plugged into the wall or machine could cause it to polarize (it thinks backwards) - take the plug out of the wall, turn it around and plug it back in again. I have an old Morse also that had an adapted plug in system, and it also has a good forward - or wants to go backwards spot. :-)
Old 07-06-2014, 11:16 PM

I just had the camstack replace on my 1222E, it was doing some of the same things you described. When it came home from the hospital, it was like a new machine.