Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what to do. >

I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what to do.

I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what to do.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Default I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what to do.

I'm FMQing my latest quilt. I have several fabric strips that are 3" wide and I'm doing a different pattern in each strip. Everything is going really well when I noticed that one of the fabrics had spots where the stitches looked like they didn't stitch. I took it all out and thought maybe I'd forgotten to put the presser foot down...... I forgot to mention, I'm changing colors of thread to match each fabric strip. The fabric that looked like stitches were not catching was prewashed, is black, but it does feel slightly stiffer than many of the others. It was a fat quarter that a friend had given me.

Okay, I have another strip of black and I figured I'd go back and restitch that pesty fabric when I put the black thread on and stitched the other black piece. ..... stitched one black piece (different black fabric).... stitches look fine. Went back to re-stitch the pesty fabric and paid closer attention. It was skipping large spaces again... What's that about???

So, now, I don't know what to try. I don't want to have to replace the fabric.... I'm way too far for that. Do you think I could put thin paper over that strip and try stitching over that? I had put a new needle in before I started this quilt. I'm really stumped. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions for things to try?? Help....
Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 AM

When I change fabric in a quilt sometimes I need to adjust the tension a bit. Do you have a scrap of the pesty fabric that you can play with to see if the tension needs adjustment for this one area?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
When I change fabric in a quilt sometimes I need to adjust the tension a bit. Do you have a scrap of the pesty fabric that you can play with to see if the tension needs adjustment for this one area?
Yes, I have more. I can try that but it's like the thread isn't getting caught underneath in the bobbin area. I'll try that. The quilt is close to being done..... ARgh!! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Could be several reasons. One would be a finish on the fabric that is resisting stitches and another reason could be that the fabric is off grain and the needle is not lining up with the bobbin thread to make good stitches. I have experienced both of these problems. You can try these things: try changing to an embroidery needle or micro-needle or titanium needle, sew over tearaway stabilizer and remove after stitching, and try another type of thread. Hope you are able to resolve the problem, good luck.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM

If you are stitching fairly quickly, try slowing down to give the upper thread more time to catch the bobbin thread.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM

You could also try a different kind/weight of black thread.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM

I just had that issue with the border on the quilt I'm finishing now. I tightened up the top tension & it improved. I also cleaned the bobbin case & switched to a fresh needle & that took care of it completely.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I have had this happen. I bought 4 pieces of batik fabric from the same shop. I didn't have any problems with 3 of them but the 4th had skipped stitches. I changed the needle, rethreaded the machine, etc thinking that was the problem. What finally convinced me it was the fabric was when I did some test runs on that fabric using scraps. I overcame the problem by readjusting my tension. I just fiddle with it until I got it to look good. Fabric can make a difference.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Try a larger needle.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Try stitching through tissue paper to see if it helps. I recently had black fabric that for some reason my Bernina BSR would not read. I switched to my regular FMQ foot and managed to finish. I never found out what the trouble was and I tried new needle, different thread, tension etc. Good luck.