Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilt gets stuck in the machine! Is it the thread, the needle, the stitch length? >

My quilt gets stuck in the machine! Is it the thread, the needle, the stitch length?

My quilt gets stuck in the machine! Is it the thread, the needle, the stitch length?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Default My quilt gets stuck in the machine! Is it the thread, the needle, the stitch length?

Hi, Everyone,

I quilt on a Juki 2010q. Oftentimes, when I'm quilting with my walking foot (I use the one that came with the machine), my quilt doesn't feed through the machine smoothly. It jams in one spot, like a truck that's gotten stuck in the mud, and I get a cluster of stitches in one spot. I have to push the quilt through a little forcefully to get it walking smoothly again, which doesn't make for the tidiest quilting lines. I keep my machine well-oiled and I change my needles frequently. Generally, I use quilting cottons or flannels with low-loft cotton or bamboo batting. I'm still new to this machine, so my relative inexperience might be the culprit here, but it does make me wonder about other factors that could be causing the quilt to get stuck, like thread, needle, and stitch length. So, in addition to any general advice you all might have regarding getting un-stuck, I'm also wondering:

1) What type and weight of thread do you use when quilting and do you use the same type and weight in the bobbin?

2) Assuming you use a quilting needle, what size are you using?

3) What's your preferred stitch length? I generally prefer the look of a stitch length between 2.5 and 2.75. However, my quilt tends to feed most consistently when I go up to a length of 4.

As always, thank you for everything fellow quilters!

Best,
Aso
Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

When I have had this problem, it seems to be always related to how the quilt is draped around the machine. The cure for me would be to get one of those suspender setups that lift the quilt up above the machine. (I will post a photo if I can find it.) Any type of drag on the quilt will cause the kind of problem you are describing -- e.g., if the quilt is hanging down over the front edge of the sewing machine cabinet, over the left side edge, or over the back edge of the sewing machine cabinet (or machine).

Edit: I found the website of the suspender setup another QB member posted about:
http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html
She really likes hers, but I haven't been able to find that thread.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-08-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
When I have had this problem, it seems to be always related to how the quilt is draped around the machine. The cure for me would be to get one of those suspender setups that lift the quilt up above the machine. (I will post a photo if I can find it.) Any type of drag on the quilt will cause the kind of problem you are describing -- e.g., if the quilt is hanging down over the front edge of the sewing machine cabinet, over the left side edge, or over the back edge of the sewing machine cabinet (or machine).
I hadn't thought of that at all, Prism. Thanks so much for the advice. If you have a picture of that suspender set-up or can direct me to one, that would be much appreciated!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I found the original post on the QB that caught my attention:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...g-t250048.html

Check the edit to my post above, where I give the website for that setup.

Edit: The QB thread shows alternative homemade setups too. If you Google Leah Day, I believe she made her own suspender setup. For me, I know I would need to buy it; have too many unfinished projects around the house!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 AM

In addition to the drag, it might be your presser foot pressure. Did you decrease it? Turn the dial until the blue bar is all the way to the top.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
In addition to the drag, it might be your presser foot pressure. Did you decrease it? Turn the dial until the blue bar is all the way to the top.
I did decrease it, Katie. It's all the way to the top. However, I actually wasn't sure if that was the best position for the pressure foot, so your confirmation is much appreciated!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I found the original post on the QB that caught my attention:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...g-t250048.html

Check the edit to my post above, where I give the website for that setup.

Edit: The QB thread shows alternative homemade setups too. If you Google Leah Day, I believe she made her own suspender setup. For me, I know I would need to buy it; have too many unfinished projects around the house!
Thanks again, Prism. Despite this contraption's resemblance to the "pull-up station" at my gym, I might have to give this a try...
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Well, besides the presser foot, whyich has to have SOME pressure on the quilt sandwich... what basting methoid are you using and could it be stuck on a basting stitch, or pin ? seems like that would be noticeable..... but... it happens....
Old 08-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Is it possible it's something to do with a bulky intersection or seams?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Are you using the single hole or a ziz zag plate? Sometimes the fabric bunches up into the hole. Number 1: I use 40 or 30 on the top and 60 on the bottom. Number 2: I use a 90-14 or 90-16. Number 3: stitch length between 3-4. Do not have a Juki.