Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
making dog pads for kennels >

making dog pads for kennels

making dog pads for kennels

Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Default making dog pads for kennels

Remember about two months ago I said I'd visited the local animal league and ask them if they had anyone making dog and cat beds. They said no. After many things getting in the way I took three down today after getting many replies from you all. They said they could use hand towel sized and bath size. I took down hand towel size. I wanted to make a towel on one size and fleece on the other. I did, but things got messy.....the fleece stretched AND when I sewed it together it did not do that great....I messed with several of them and sewed them. Then I put just fleece together and life was good. So much for good thoughts to have a 2 in one thing.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 PM

That's a wonderful thing to do. Thank you for reminding me to check here locally to see what they need.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Remember the old saying, if you do not succeed try try again. Your heart is in the right place. These homeless critter do need creature comforts !!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 PM

I too make dog beds for our local Humane Society. It is a wonderful way to use up fabrics I don't like or don't need and it gives me a place to practice with machine quilting. And a very nice quilter called ManiacQuilter2 sent me some fabric to use for the dog beds.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 AM

I made well over 100 small, med size quilts for cats and dogs forthe Humane Society. I did find using fleece on the back did not work well so I made one side with cotton and the back with flannel. Looked and felt much better. What ever you do they will appreciate it. Thank you for thinking of our 4 legged friends.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by NUTMEG10 View Post
I made well over 100 small, med size quilts for cats and dogs forthe Humane Society. I did find using fleece on the back did not work well so I made one side with cotton and the back with flannel. Looked and felt much better. What ever you do they will appreciate it. Thank you for thinking of our 4 legged friends.
I have found as you stated, the local shelter appreciates all that it is done. I make simple pet bedding, basically 36 inch square, flannel on one side, muslin on the other. It is large enough for the larger animals but can be folded up for the smaller shelter animals. Also, it washes up nicely and doesn't give them problems since their laundry equipment isn't the best. I do simple in order to get them to the shelter as fast as possible.

They do love towels also.
Serita
Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Thanks for helping our furry friends! I save my scraps for a friend who uses them for stuffing in the dog beds.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I got out a couple of dresses from garage sales and am about to get new sheets for our bed. I got one dress for $.50 at a sale and have found I can't get a light stain out. Those will be perfect for kennel pads and beds.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by NUTMEG10 View Post
This is what I did also. I made a bunch for the humane society for adoption day using old mattress pads in the middle. There were quite a few I made that were scrappy patchwork , sort of quilt as you go. We had a woman there that went and made her own , she didn't like mine because they didn't match and were just "junky scraps". LOL Some of those scraps were 12.00 a yard fabric. Well to each his own. the dogs didn't care.. She was going to throw them out and a friend of mine grabbed them and used them for her fosters. She loves them
Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM

I am in the process of making 100 dog beds for my daughter to use in her boarding facility. I'm using fleece on 1 side and minky on back. I was having problems with stretching, too, until I decided to use clover clips to hold both together. If I hold both pieces taut when running through machine I find the stretching is not a problem. Sew both together leaving opening for turning, then turn and sew around all sides. Works up much faster and they turn out just fine.