Appliances in Cahoots

Old 09-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Default Appliances in Cahoots

Sometimes I think our appliances are in a conspiracy to conk out at the same time.

My computer died, then our son's TV quit, and now our microwave oven is acting weird and not heating things properly.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 PM

All I can say to that is - you're right! All of our appliances except the washing machine, AC and fridge have died within months after the end of their warranty. So after 7 years in our 8 year old home, we have all new appliances except the washer, fridge and AC. I hate the fridge, so of course it won't quit working...and I probably just cursed the washer. AC will probably conk out the first hot day of 2015.

Oh, well.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:33 PM

Ooh, you are so right! One summer I had the dishwasher die, not big deal, we can wash our dishes by hand for a while. Within a day or two the clothes washer also died, (I was not going to the laundry mat - this has to be repaired or replaced) and I then get a call at work that afternoon, the microwave died. All three items were over 10 years old, so off I went to Sears to place my order. All three items were replaced and I made a salesperson very happy. Of course this happens before we were having company, so i was happy all were installed before they arrived. The morning the guests arrived my eldest daughter tells me she doesn't like the new washer because it used up too much hot water. How could that be? Yup, the water heater was doing something it was not supposed to do and my favorite plumber said it had to be replaced. I have learned not to ask, "What next?" because it doesn't take long to find out.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:25 AM

There's definitely something in the air! In the last few weeks, our home A/C went out, DH's truck A/C went out, our water heater went out (which caused a TON of other plumbing problems), our washing machine had a switch to go bad, and we accumulated $400+ in vet bills, milk, and supplies for a newborn kitten that was abandoned on our doorstep (I couldn't just leave it to die). We're still picking up the pieces of where DH's hours had been significantly cut over the summer, which totally wiped out our savings, so we're really struggling right now.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end, but good grief!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 AM

I'm saying prayers for all of you.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:21 AM

Ah...home ownership! Always something!

sandy
Old 09-12-2014, 04:31 AM

Maybe Moonrise is right--something's in the air. My stove, dishwasher, and fridge are all "dying" as we speak!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Of COURSE they are in cahoots !!!

And while we're talking about it ...NEVER NEVER mention that you are about to make your last car payment ANYWHERE within hearing distance of the vehicle !!!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Not only do they all quit together, they do it at the worst possible time.

When DH were newly married, we volunteered to host Thanksgiving for his family. Small gathering, just about 10 people, but naturally our oven AND ancient hand-me-down microwave both died that morning. No heat at all from the oven, and terrifying sparks and buzzing from the microwave. We ended up doing the cooking at a nearby friend's house, who was out of town but gave us permission to "break in" (she told us where to find a hidden key) and use her kitchen. Thank goodness for sharing friends!

I made sure to "forget" an "extra" pie in her 'fridge as a thank-you!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

It can happen to rentals also. So many tenants have to provide their own appliances. I am going to leave it at that. I don't want to jinx a thing.
Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Ah...home ownership! Always something!

sandy