Left Homing Needle Position

Old 09-21-2014, 05:16 AM

Default Left Homing Needle Position

I have some left homing needle position machines. At first I didn't like them much but I have come to tolerate them. However, I still always seem to prefer to use the center needle. I was just wondering what was the reasoning behind the left homing needle position? The machines I have are White and Brother so did Singer ever make a left homing needle position machine?
Old 09-21-2014, 05:22 AM

I have no idea what their line of reason was to make a left homing machine.
Unless it was to make it easier to manufacture. The left homers seem to be a simple spring loaded system to pull the needle to the left unless it's moved to the ZZ position. But, I do have one that is a left homer when the straight stitch needle plate is installed, and can also be set to center position homing when the ZZ plate is installed.

I don't "think" Singer ever made a left homing machine. I've never seen or read of one or heard of anyone mentioning one.

Joe
Old 09-21-2014, 06:20 AM

I am not a fan of left homing machines. No idea why they would make them like that unless it was easier or cheaper to do it that way. I had one here but it drove me crazy from the start, so I sold it. I haven't seen one in any of my Singers.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 AM

I've been told it was cheaper to make them that way. I'm always bummed to find an especially cool looking machine and see that's it's a left homer.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM

I had a Kenmore from the 90's that DIDN'T come with a straight stitch plate but DID have L,C,& R needle positions. The manual said to use the left needle position for straight stitching on light weight knits, silky fabrics....any fabric that might have "flagging" issues. Since you were only using the far left side of the zigzag plate, there was more support under your fabric. So maybe there was a reason other than cost. I've always heard they were cheaper to manufacture, too......
Old 09-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Pat,

Very interesting about the 90's Kenmore. Question: What does "flagging" issues mean? My wife said it sounds familiar but she can't tell me the meaning of it. I've not seen it in print so I have no idea.

Joe
Old 09-21-2014, 12:09 PM

Flagging is when the fabric pushes down into the hole in the needle plate causing skipped stitches. Either because it's clinging to the needle like knits w/lycra will do. Or because it's very thin, lightweight like a lot of silky type fabrics, chiffon, etc.

So, according to the manual, using the far left side of your all-purpose/zigzag foot and the far left side of the plate the fabric has more support....can't pull up with the needle or push down into the hole as easily. Closer to the effect you'd get with a straight stitch foot & straight stitch needle plate.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

It wasn't necessarily a cheaper way but was supposed to be a simpler way in the mechanics of zig zag. It's been explained to me but my brain just fogged up because I didn't really understand what was being said.

Cari
Old 09-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
It wasn't necessarily a cheaper way but was supposed to be a simpler way in the mechanics of zig zag. It's been explained to me but my brain just fogged up because I didn't really understand what was being said.

Cari
Many times they only came with the zig zag plate, so they were cheaper to manufacture.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
Flagging is when the fabric pushes down into the hole in the needle plate causing skipped stitches. Either because it's clinging to the needle like knits w/lycra will do. Or because it's very thin, lightweight like a lot of silky type fabrics, chiffon, etc.

So, according to the manual, using the far left side of your all-purpose/zigzag foot and the far left side of the plate the fabric has more support....can't pull up with the needle or push down into the hole as easily. Closer to the effect you'd get with a straight stitch foot & straight stitch needle plate.
Pat,
Thanks. That makes sense to me.

Joe