Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP    Fabrics Questions >

HELP Fabrics Questions

HELP Fabrics Questions

Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM

Would love to see photos of what you end up with!! A wonderful opportunity for you!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:46 AM

you can use a lot of drapery fabric as long as you do simple patterns. Some of the heavier stuff - why not make some large floor pillows. You can use some of the heavier bedding stuff to fold over and create a pillow to stuff it with. Since the materials are free, you could sell these at a fairly low cost and this would give you some working money for the other projects. But, again - use simple patterns for the pillows. Perhaps a large 4 patch with a tufted button ion the center. Definitely wash everything to see how it works. If some drapery fabric can be used for quilt tops, you could use bedding for the backs and you definitely would not have to use batting - it would make it way too heavy. Save your absolutely favorite fabric for later when you have some operating cash to purchase backing and batting. This could be a gold mine waiting for you. Reminder - just because a pattern or color combo doesn't appeal to you - someone out there could think it was the best thing ever!!! Have fun!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I would check out the fabric first, sheets can be used for backings, maybe not preferable for hand stitching, but the first quilt teacher I had said that she used sheets all the time for quilt backings. With regard to drapery fabric, check to see if it's washable, as I think the drapery fabric would be the same as using denim for quilts, only with prettier designs and colors. I have used some drapery fabric samples in baby quilts for children's hospitals from donations.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Keep in mind that these kinds of fabrics make great toes and bags.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:04 PM

I have been reading all these replies and wondering if the fabrics have a type of rubber(for the want of a better word) backing on them as ours in Australia do. I did make one when I first started quilting and I did not put batting in it but backed it with cotton fabric. They were large sqs and I stitched in the ditch and the fabric stuck together in places because of the backing on the fabric. I didn't know any better then but I have since seen quilts made with that fabric. My daughter had it on her bed and washed it a lot because of small children and it faded quite a bit.
I love this site and always eager to read the posts. It is a great learning site. Feels like family.