Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So aggravated with myself >

So aggravated with myself

So aggravated with myself

Old 09-24-2014, 10:24 PM

Default So aggravated with myself

Even though I've sworn off buying new quilting magazines, I gave in today at the grocery store. A really pretty scrappy Hunter's Star on the cover of October's American Patchwork & Quilting caught my eye. Now this is one of those magazines they encase in plastic, so you can't look through it until you buy it.

Of all things, the diamonds are raw-edge appliqued with a straight stitch onto the background triangles. IMO, that technique is okay for a wall quilt but I'd never make a bed quilt that way.

Oh well, guess I can use the picture as inspiration to make a Hunter's Star the old-fashioned way.

Daffy
Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 PM

I hate those kind of magazines! I understand why they do it, but I have felt so ripped off when I see what the actual content is that I won't even think about buying them.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 PM

If I have time I carefully open the cellophane and look (Have to make sure the inserts don't fall out though!). If it isn't 'peelable' I try to remember to look online and see if the magazine or design has been reviewed anywhere before buying.

There are no 'new' patterns, just colour/fabric schemes and the occasional breakthrough method and the same design(s) can usually easily be found elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

I know why some magazines are now in the plastic sleeve and more are going in that direction. Books will be next. I've seen a lot of should know better age women taking pictures of patterns in books and magazines with their phones. No store employees have stopped them even when seeing them. I vowed to say something the next time I see this happening. It's wrong and not stopping it is even worse!!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I don't buy the quilt magazines in the plastic sleeve as it usually is not a great issue. I haven't seen anyone taking pictures yet but that's just wrong.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I learned a long time ago the rags in sleeves are just that. Often there are no instructions. You have to order the instructions. I have a couple online subscriptions which are soon up for renewal which won't happen. There are so many free patterns and you can download some. Jinny Beyer has a lot of patterns you can download free with instructions and templates. Magazines aren't cheap. I stopped at a LQS the other day and another gal came in, picked up a magazine and started taking photos. She had the audacity to ask the clerk if she knew if one of the other magazines had instructions. The clerk asked her to leave when she said she didn't want to buy the book just take photos of the instructions. They have signs now that state to ask clerk for information for instructions for magazines in sleeves. They have copies of those at the desk.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 AM

Tessagin, that is just sad. I admit to sharing patterns with my sisters, which purists would consider against the 'rules', I'm sure. But that woman was plain old stealing and I hope her next quilt is a nightmare because she was too cheap to buy the actual pattern!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
I hate those kind of magazines! I understand why they do it, but I have felt so ripped off when I see what the actual content is that I won't even think about buying them.
I TOTALLY agree. I pass them up because I want to KNOW what I am buying !! Been tempted to rip open the plastic envelope !!!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
I will not buy a magazine that is sealed like that either.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 AM

I actually subscribe to American Patchwork and gave my last issue to an elderly friend in the hospital. I usually enjoy my magazine, but I really didn't like the patterns in that last one. Referring to what Daphne said, I too thought that it was not a good way to make a quilt.
I don't usually buy them at the store, and won't buy the ones that I can't look at, but I don't blame the magazine companies for putting them in plastic if people have the audacity to take pictures. Outrageous behavior.