Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So aggravated with myself >

So aggravated with myself

So aggravated with myself

Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 AM

I open them! I won't buy what I can't see. I will admit that so far those I have opened I have bought all but 1
Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Frankly, I'm shocked that someone would even think it was okay to take photos of the inside of a book or magazine. It's definitely stealing - much like those people who pick up a bunch of grapes at the grocery store and eat half of them on the way to the checkout so that they get charged for a lighter weight.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM

My very favorite quilt magazine bit the dust...and I wonder why...I loved it...instructions were great etc...
"Quilt" was the name of it..I am so glad I saved all of mine....I very seldom find a pattern in magazines that I like well enough to buy it...
Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 AM

I won't purchase magazines in plastic sleeves either. My money is too valuable to take chance on them. They are certainly not building a good reputation when you can't see what is in there before you buy them then not have only the best patterns and instructions in them.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I share patterns/books/magazines with my friends a lot but I bought them first. One employee told me the management instructed them to not confront anyone taking pictures of books/magazines. It was too easy to get sued or take the chance of an employee getting hurt. Same with shoplifters and robbers, give them what they want and let the police handle it after the fact if at all. Sad. Sad. Sad.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:08 AM

It would never even occur to me to take pictures of magazine patterns! When I worked at JoAnns several years ago, we had to tear off covers and throw outdated magazines in the trash. We would have gotten fired if we took one of those home. I sometimes wondered if any of the gals would go behind the store and go through the trash to get a couple.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
When I worked at JoAnns several years ago, we had to tear off covers and throw outdated magazines in the trash.
That really makes me mad. When our local Hancock's went out of business and had hundreds of bolts of fabric left I asked if the bolts were being shipped to another store or sold in bulk. I was shocked when the manager said that black oil is poured all over them so they won't be fit for anyone to use. They couldn't donate the fabric, it has to be made useless but not destroyed. It was corporate's rule. Our hospital here throws out trays of food every day, if one big tray has been opened it has to be tossed even if no food came out of it. I suggested letting the hospital employees eat free, more food was thrown out then there was employees to eat it. I was told that wasn't going to happen. The food had to be thrown out because it was in the budget. Who are these idiots doing the management of these places?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Agree with GingerK. When people freely snap photos of pages in magazines they haven't purchased, to me, that's stealing. I wonder how they would feel if someone did the same thing after they'd spent hours, weeks, months, designing a quilt, computing yardage and developing pattern instructions? Would they give away their hard work? It's akin to people illegally downloading music they haven't paid for. It's all reprehensible.

At the quilt shop where I worked, we had no issues approaching people and asking them to put away their phones when we saw they were about to attempt to photograph pages in a book or magazine. Sometimes people just don't realize what impact that has until it's explained to them.

Off my soapbox now...and I agree with all of you that magazine issues that sit on the newsstand all wrapped up is a bad marketing decision on the part of the publisher. NOW I'm off my soapbox!!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:06 PM

You have quilting magazines in your grocery store? I'm so jealous!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

That particular cover quilt has fooled a lot of people. There was a post about it a few weeks back. Why would anyone want to make a Hunters Star with this technique? It is not a difficult block to piece and the raw edge technique doesn't look any easier to make.

My personal taste doesn't find raw edge quilting very attractive, with some exceptions like folk art quilts and wall hangings.

To each their own.
peace