Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine throat space >

Sewing machine throat space

Sewing machine throat space

Old 09-27-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Sewing machine throat space

I'm new to quilting and so far have just worked on a 35 year old Kenmore machine that is sadly lacking in many ways. I'm thinking of buying the Janome M1250Q:
https://janome-sah.com/sewing-machines/juno-m1250q.html

It is supposedly designed for quilting and comes with a "quilting kit" but the throat space is only about 7-8 inches as far as I can tell from the website pics. Do you think it is possible to make a bed sized quilt on this machine?
Old 09-27-2014, 06:35 AM

I think your asking about "quilting" the top, not just piecing the top. The measurements you listed isn't very much, I suggest you roll up a blanket or quilt you have and wiggle it under your current machine to give you a point of reference .......calla
Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Depending on the size of the quilt would determine the ease of quilting. Obviously the larger the quilt the more difficulty but only because it maybe a little cumbersome. I've done a crib and lap throw on mine (a Singer) with 6" and my 401 is only 6". Look at the manual and see what it says. I am looking into larger throat but am anticipating QAYG (quilt as you go) for a couple others. I'll see how a twin works then decide if I need to get something with a larger throat. I will shop locally so I can be hands on with the machine.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by calla View Post
I think your asking about "quilting" the top, not just piecing the top. The measurements you listed isn't very much, I suggest you roll up a blanket or quilt you have and wiggle it under your current machine to give you a point of reference .......calla
I never thought about this. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 AM

Yes, sorry, I did mean quilting. How much throat space would you want a machine to have to quilt a twin bed sized quilt?

Originally Posted by calla View Post
Old 09-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

The new machines have very little space and often the measurement refers to the width only but there is very little height. Have you considered buying an older machine off of Craigs list? A machine like the Singer 51 19 has a very high throat opening.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Oooh, good idea! I hadn't even thought about quilt as you go. I really want a Babylock Aria but just can't afford or justify the price as a new quilter. I like that this Janome has so many features for the price but it's definitely lacking in throat space. Odd they did that for a machine designed for quilters.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Depending on the size of the quilt would determine the ease of quilting. Obviously the larger the quilt the more difficulty but only because it maybe a little cumbersome. I've done a crib and lap throw on mine (a Singer) with 6" and my 401 is only 6". Look at the manual and see what it says. I am looking into larger throat but am anticipating QAYG (quilt as you go) for a couple others. I'll see how a twin works then decide if I need to get something with a larger throat. I will shop locally so I can be hands on with the machine.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:50 AM

I'm in Canada and it's harder to get heavy items shipped here. Also, I have to admit, after so long with an old machine I'm really wanting the new shiny experience

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
The new machines have very little space and often the measurement refers to the width only but there is very little height. Have you considered buying an older machine off of Craigs list? A machine like the Singer 51 19 has a very high throat opening.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:56 AM

I now use a Babylock Tiara for the biggest quilts, however, my Janome 6600 has many features and great space for up to a full sized quilt. I still use it for all my quilts (any size) to stitch in the ditch prior to free-motioning the decorative quilting. The 6600 may be available used at a very good price. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:59 AM

Imagin: Since your are going to free motion quilt your projects, the most important thing would probably be the harp size. The only comparatively inexpensive machine I know of is the Brother 1900S, it has a 9" harp which can accommodate a king size quilt. This machine has only a straight stich but for my purposes I don't miss the fancy stitches. Probably a decision you have to make depending on your planned use.