Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine throat space >

Sewing machine throat space

Sewing machine throat space

Old 09-27-2014, 07:07 AM

I have a Kenmore 181 from the 70's. It is my favorite machine for free motion quilting and have been able to do a queen size quilt on it. I also like to use the cams for decorative work. I also have a small Brother machine that I use for piecing and general sewing. For the best straight stitch and heavy weight sewing like canvas and top stitching my best machine is a Singer 201 built in 1938. If you want the new machine and can afford it go for it, but you might want to keep your older machine also, it may be better for some things. Maybe try to find a machine with a little larger harp space than the one you are looking at.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 AM

If you are looking for the largest throat space and price is not an issue, than the Bernina 800 series is your machine. I just measured mine, and it is 12" from needle to the edge, and it comes with a BSR for free motion quilting.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 AM

I think Emma S meant a Brother 1500s not 1900s. I can quilt a queen size on my 1500s with no problem.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:28 AM

I have the brother dreamweaver which has all the features of the aria and it really is awesome, and has lots of space to fit a quilt. They are costly but IMHO it is worth the investment if you plan to do this for a very long time instead of investing in more machines that don't fit your needs
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM

We have a site here in Canada called Kijiji that is like Craig's List. I just found a listing for a Pfaff Ambition 1.5 that appears to be a much better choice. The price is right, it's 2 years old but appears to be in perfect condition. I've heard good things about Pfaff but I don't think I could get it serviced locally, at least not by any certified Pfaff place. It wouldn't have a warranty anyway though. I wanted to buy new for the warranty and Janome has local service as well but this is twice the machine for about the same price. What do you think? Is it a safe bet?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Of course you can. You just need good support around your sewing machine to the left and in back of the DSM to support the quilt as you quilt.. I quilted the queen size quilt in my avatar, actually made two of them. I have a Bernina 1530 with a 7" throat. I have to say I never did any King size quilts.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:23 PM

My favorite machine for quilting is the Janome 6600. I found it on Craigslist for $800. I can finally quilt at home and not have to pay to have it done. I love it.

Last edited by fayzer; 09-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:01 PM

I have 8 " and I just finished quilting a 94" x101" on mine. Start from the center an work your way out. I bunch it up not roll it.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:05 PM

I have a Viking QDII, which I dearly love, and supposedly has like like a 7 1/2" harp. But I am now quilting one that's 66 x. 74 and working on a diagonal, so it's functionally 1.4 x wider. I had to remove the light bulb so that the quilt wouldn't be damaged by being crammed up next to the light cover, which gets quite warm. I've found that batting thickness can make quite a difference, too. I really wish I had something bigger for quilting. 12" sounds like heaven.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-27-2014, 02:56 PM

If you have a chance to get a Pfaff at a good price I would say, go for it. I have a Pfaff 2134 which was a floor model and was being discontinued by the company for a new design. I got a good price from the LQS, I think about 6 years ago. I have not had a bit of trouble with it (knock on wood) and just had it cleaned by the shop for the first time this summer. I do FMQ with it and don't have issues with tension or thread problems like I hear people talk about on here. I have done queen size quilts and use Leah Day's methods for the most part. Not rolling the quilt but "puddling" as someone else mentioned. I am also relatively new to quilting. Took my first lesson about 6 years ago. Found that I love quilting and my Pfaff! Good luck with your decision!
Originally Posted by Imagin View Post
We have a site here in Canada called Kijiji that is like Craig's List. I just found a listing for a Pfaff Ambition 1.5 that appears to be a much better choice. The price is right, it's 2 years old but appears to be in perfect condition. I've heard good things about Pfaff but I don't think I could get it serviced locally, at least not by any certified Pfaff place. It wouldn't have a warranty anyway though. I wanted to buy new for the warranty and Janome has local service as well but this is twice the machine for about the same price. What do you think? Is it a safe bet?