Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine throat space >

Sewing machine throat space

Sewing machine throat space

Old 09-28-2014, 07:13 AM

You might want to check out the new Pfaff's their quilting achines have more space for free motion quilting.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:26 AM

I saw a video on u-tube where you do free motion quilting on QUAG. Instead of quilting on horizontal rows she joined rows vertically one section at a time. That way each time you add a row the bulk of your work is to the left instead of having everything under the throat of the machine. Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 AM

I LOVE your attitude! You have really made me rethink this. Thank you for this post.

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
I think we as woman need to stop justifying our expensive sewing machines. I've heard on this board time and again that someone can't afford it, or they need to make it pay for itself? Why? Other than genuinely not being able to afford it - I apologize here, some, I know, cannot, but those that have to make the $numbers come out right - think again. You will be sewing on this machine for a long time. Get the one that makes it easiest for what you do. There are some down right amazing machines out there. Don't say "my work isn't good enough", or that's so much money. See about payments, make yourself happy. If you are on a budget, and only you know that, buy the best you can afford and stretch a little bit. Ask for your birthday/Christmas present all in one - lol. Sewing is not easy when you are frustrated. This is the only thing I do. I don't wear expensive clothes, don't buy the latest and greatest (unless it's about sewing/fabric/machines/notions), I don't go to bars, to the movies (occasionally). I tell myself I deserve it and I think you do to.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm looking at another machine now. This board is really helpful.

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
I think we as woman need to stop justifying our expensive sewing machines. I've heard on this board time and again that someone can't afford it, or they need to make it pay for itself? Why? Other than genuinely not being able to afford it - I apologize here, some, I know, cannot, but those that have to make the $numbers come out right - think again. You will be sewing on this machine for a long time. Get the one that makes it easiest for what you do. There are some down right amazing machines out there. Don't say "my work isn't good enough", or that's so much money. See about payments, make yourself happy. If you are on a budget, and only you know that, buy the best you can afford and stretch a little bit. Ask for your birthday/Christmas present all in one - lol. Sewing is not easy when you are frustrated. This is the only thing I do. I don't wear expensive clothes, don't buy the latest and greatest (unless it's about sewing/fabric/machines/notions), I don't go to bars, to the movies (occasionally). I tell myself I deserve it and I think you do to.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 AM

I'm looking at a used Pfaff Ambition 1.5 now. I'm hoping I can get it before someone else does!

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
You might want to check out the new Pfaff's their quilting achines have more space for free motion quilting.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:44 AM

I think I'm going to do my first few quilts this way for sure, regardless of the machine. Just to make it easier on myself. There are apparently several ways to do it that all look pretty darned good.

Originally Posted by dottie View Post
I saw a video on u-tube where you do free motion quilting on QUAG. Instead of quilting on horizontal rows she joined rows vertically one section at a time. That way each time you add a row the bulk of your work is to the left instead of having everything under the throat of the machine. Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 AM

I free motion quilted a large queen quilt on my Bernina 400 QE with a throat (harp) of 7.5 and the height is 4.5.
This year I did stitch in the ditch on my featherweight on a queen sized quilt. (The batt was not too thick.) The featherweight has a throat space of 5 inches by 4 inches high. Why did I do that? To see if I could; to brag about it. LOL After I stitched in the ditch on both sides of all the sashing, I used my Bernina to FMQ each block.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Janome makes a real quality product, but you're looking at the wrong line. For quilting, check out their quilting machines. I've been using a 6600P for years and have quilted several large quilts on it. True, it can be a squishing exercise moving and turning the entire thing under the throat, but this machine is larger than usual and about as large as you will get without moving into a long-arm. Spend the money now and buy as much machine as you can afford as you will grow into it as your skills develop. Here's my suggestion (without going top professional): http://www.janome.ca/machines/Horizon/intro1.php

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-07-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 09-28-2014, 01:25 PM

People have made bed sized quilts with that little harp space - not me. Maybe your sewing machine store can sell you a good-conditioned, pre-owned or floor model machine in your price range.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 PM

I have tried Free Motion Quilting with only 7-8 inches of throat space and it's not easy. If you can get one that has MUCH more throat space. Better to get it now and not be sorry later.