Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
He doesn't know! >

He doesn't know!

He doesn't know!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Default He doesn't know!

Yesterday I started cutting the pieces for the quilt for my DH Christmas present. The pieces are for the backing. Waiting for his fabric to come in but wanted to start on the backing. He just assumed it was for the backing for our oldest who likes to hunt. The backing is denim and flannel. DH asked if he could do some of the piecing. No problem, he knows how to sew. He cleaned and oiled the 401 which he says is the best estate find I've ever brought home. Then he says "Tom is going to love this quilt. I would tie it if I were you." DH thinks tied quilts are the real deal. The only problem is now I have to make another backing because he has seen the fabric I'm using for the oldest son's quilt. Oh well! I'll get started on another backing because he says his stepson will never believe his stepfather helped create a quilt. Atleast I know what DH really likes in a quilt. Who would've thought? LOL!!! He also said we need to redo the sewing room. YAYyyy me!!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Even when they are so great and fun, DHs can mess up your plans. LOL
Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Sometimes these men really surprise us! Mine gets upset if we make a trip to a far away quilt shop or fabric store and I don't come out with a bag - so guess what I "have to buy" - more fabric!!!!! He says he won't take me to anymore FART - "Fabric Acquisition Road Trips" if I don't buy something!!!! No sense in wasting the gas - he says. So, I make sure that there is something that I "need" to buy.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
He says he won't take me to anymore FARTs - "Fabric Acquisition Road Trips" .... No sense in wasting the gas.
Bwaaa haaa haaa haaaaa!!! Did you do that on purpose?? ROFL thanks for my morning giggle!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The only problem is now I have to make another backing because he has seen the fabric I'm using for the oldest son's quilt.
I'm not sure I understand why you need to make another backing....? As I was reading this, I giggled to myself thinking about his reaction when he sees "his" quilt and realizes he actually sewed some of it himself.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Even when they are so great and fun, DHs can mess up your plans. LOL
My DH did that to me once. I designed an outdoorsy quilt for him and secretly worked on it for ten years. Wanting to finally finish it for Christmas, I needed to get the last borders on. They were made up of scrappy flying geese. So one night I sat down to finish them, thinking "it will be OK...he NEVER comes into the sewing room." Well, guess what!? Of course THAT was the time he came in to see what I was doing! He sat right across from me at the sewing table and asked what I was making. I nonchalantly said, "Oh, just some borders." He said they were pretty with all the different fabrics, but unbelievably never asked what quilt they were for. Whew!

He got his quilt for Christmas and was amazed when I told him that, while I mostly worked on it at retreats or when he was out of town, he had actually watched me sewing on part of it.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Bwaaa haaa haaa haaaaa!!! Did you do that on purpose?? ROFL thanks for my morning giggle!
No, I did not think of this myself. Saw a gal at the last Paducah Quilt Show in April with a T-Shirt on that had "FART" in big letters. I think that my Dd took a picture of it on her cell phone.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 AM

I wasn't talking about the F.A.R.T acronym; I'm quite familiar with the term. I was talking about how your DH said there was no sense in "wasting the gas". Get it?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I have to have a backing for my son's quilt. The front is mossy oak for my son and I'm using browns and greens with the denim for the backing.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you need to make another backing....? As I was reading this, I giggled to myself thinking about his reaction when he sees "his" quilt and realizes he actually sewed some of it himself.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Peckish, I like your sense of humor! I didn't catch the "gas" part until you pointed it out and now I can't stop laughing! As my DH says, "you are easily amused".

Tessagin, I would use the backing your husband helped sew on his quilt. I think it would make a great memory and story to share!