Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-05-2015, 03:55 PM

There's been a lovely block posted on Facebook: Constant fabrics, a largish floral print for the neutral, black for the black, a very deep purple for the blue, lavender for the pink, very pale lemon for the yellow, a deepish, quiet green for the green, a focus fabric for the center block and the cornerstones. I don't think I've seen one before with such a dark value for the blue. It will be interesting to see how it plays out with more than one block!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM

I have my blocks laid out on the floor, not sewn together yet, I'm amazed that people are getting their blocks together so quickly. As I was laying mine out, I found 3 sections where I had turned it incorrectly...out came the ripper! Anyway, it's been fun, and thankful that the aqua corner stones have given it a little more structure. [ATTACH=CONFIG]504862[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails top-laid-out001_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 PM

Windblown - totally agree with the two you picked from FB. That light colored one is gorgeous, wonder if she's going to put Bonnie's borders on it. And the borders on the second one are just fabulous.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:52 PM

Rocki - LOVE IT!! I really do prefer the more subtle colors for this quilt and wish I had gone in that direction.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM

Thimblebug - looking good!!!

I hope mine looks as good as yours. Our colors (scrappiness wise) seem to be similar, although I think you did a much better job at keeping the greens "grassy". Some of mine are darker green and when they appear next to the black square I kind of lose the black square. I toyed with removing the darker green squares (at least where they are touching the black) but changed my mind and instead thought I would my Aqua 3.5 sashing cornerstone to a constant grassy green and hope that will help tie it together.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:17 PM

thimblebug, that definitely has structure. Excellent!

jclinganrey, that first is the one I referred to. Very pleasing to look at, I think. I hope we'll get to see it in a later stage.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
LOL it is chaos .....I think many of us are trying to find ways to tame this beast!
Why tame it? The block is called "exploding block", hence the wild look of an explosion. I think it's lots of fun. Did we really expect a quilt by Bonnie Hunter to come out "tame"? I like that her quilts are not boring.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Why tame it? The block is called "exploding block", hence the wild look of an explosion. I think it's lots of fun. Did we really expect a quilt by Bonnie Hunter to come out "tame"? I like that her quilts are not boring.
I am so glad someone said it. The quilt is called Grand Illusion for a reason - we should see an illusion! While I was not crazy about the color recommendations, they really work well together. Bonnie's quilt has an illusion, which, in turn, creates motion, and it is definitely grand! Where as the individual blocks may look "too" busy for most of our eyes, the overall quilt effect is quite stunning!

Bonnie promised it would be a lot easier than last years Celtic Solstice, and she delivered. I appreciate her quilts because they usually are out of my box bot in skill level and in color combinations.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM

I love your version Thimbles, have got a few blocks done on mine but still a way to got.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 AM

quiltsRfun and joe'smom you are right I did them backwards. I did the first 8 right then stopped and cut and marked the rest and did not get back to sewing them till the next week. Then I sewed the rest the other way.
This is my first scrappy quilt and I have learned so very much. Now I see how much the intensity of the colors can mean. learned to piece so much better, so many things I can't think of them all.

I loved that first FB quilt I posted if I ever do this one again I will use those colors, someone described it a "seaglass".
and I think I will try the border in the second for this quilt. thank you all for your help, and comments.

joe's mom I have to chuckle when I see you name, Joe is a family name for us so I am Joe's Sister, Niece(3 times) Aunt, Cousin( 4 times)and Grandmother