Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 AM

The Monday link up is in progress if anyone wants to see it is here:
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/...up-part-6.html
Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 AM

It is interesting, and much busier than I expected. I was waiting for a different green to arrive, as my original was too close to the navy I used for the black, but after seeing the reveal, I may just go with what I picked out. I definitely don't want to seem negative, but personally, my taste is more simple and clean. However, I still plan on finishing with her pattern and not altering how it goes together, but I may do a half size instead of the full size. I have been having a lot of fun with it, and have learned a ton! Even if I don't love MY end result, I love seeing what others did.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM

Me, too, huskyquilter. Whatever I end up with, I won't have a single regret. I know whatever quilt it is, it will remind me of this fun time and of those photos, and of the idea of standing on a beautiful island on a windy day. However, I still have a long way to go! Call me pokey.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 AM

I'm loving everyone's photos of their progress. Unfortunately, I had to work this past weekend so didn't get to do much sewing. However, I did get all but 10 of the blocks sewn so it is getting there. Hopefully the blocks will all be done today and I can start assembling the top. One thing that has really helped with making progress is that I've been using the green sashing units and border units as leaders and enders while putting the blocks together. That way they will all be ready to go when I get to that part of the assembly.

I have been auditioning different border designs to see how I want to finish the quilt. I'm not 100% sure about the border as designed by Bonnie. I love the quilt but would like to simplify it a bit around the edges...if you know what I mean. My personal style is for more solid borders instead of pieced borders so no matter who designed the quilt, I would probably be re-thinking the borders if they were pieced. Between this thread and the Facebook postings, there are a lot of design options out there to choose from.

If all goes well today, I'll be posting a photo soon of my completed top. Wish me luck!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
This one is by far my favorite. Wish I had seen this before. Hmmm wonder if I can pick those yellow corner ones out?
cindyb, it actually is easier than I thought it would be to take out the yellow. I used batiks and they are such a tight weave, I can rip the threads instead of using a thread cutter on all seams. I think the quilts with a lemony yellow are so much prettier. Mine was a yellow mustard color and yikes, I know I would not finish it. Now, I'm excited about it again.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM

My Dear Quilt friends Help! what have I done wrong. I can't seem to get the black stars to spin the correct way,they are spininng to the left instead of the right as BH do. All of my #2 blocks have been sewn at the same angle? [ATTACH=CONFIG]504854[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150105_142039.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Gee, it looks OK to me. Some of your blacks aren't reading as dark as others so maybe it doesn't spin as 'fast.' Maybe someone else can spot something. Love your purple approach.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
My Dear Quilt friends Help! what have I done wrong. I can't seem to get the black stars to spin the correct way,they are spininng to the left instead of the right as BH do. All of my #2 blocks have been sewn at the same angle? [ATTACH=CONFIG]504854[/ATTACH]
Windblown, are your diamonds sewn in the wrong direction? I am having a problem knowing what to sew in which direction. Everything looks so scrambled to me.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Looks like you cut your #2 neutral pieces at the wrong angle.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:29 PM

I believe the diamond units were meant to angle up to the right. However, things can spin in either direction. As long as they're all going the same way, I don't see that it matters.