Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-02-2015, 09:41 AM

Sunlitensmiles, I haven't tried pinwheels in the center but might when I do the next throw.

Siodach, I love the dashing you added! I think I like the black the best, but the combo is really nice too. Thank you for sharing this idea. I will definitely use it in the next one as it would make a3x3 grid quilt bigger.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Kassaundra,
I love the black sashing illustration! Thanks for posting that as I was really not happy with the finished product either. I'm so thankful for all the suggestions that others are giving as well. It was good to be so far behind.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Siodach-- Thank you for your computer expertice!! I love the blocks with the sashings AND with the green corner stones. It may not have been what Bonnie intended, but it is certainly honoring her pattern!!

Brookemarie- I love the pinwheels- gonna have to try those out one of these days!!

Last edited by SusanSusan33; 01-02-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

I do not see that it spins. I do have a problem focusing on it, so maybe I am missing it. Maybe it is my astigmatism...

It is warlike. Maybe the blocks are like those martial-arts things they throw, which have pointy things on them. And the bright colors are the face paint.

Keep the alternatives coming! The sashy one looks great! as I want to make something out of this UFO which right now is a hot mess in a plastic storage box. Thanks!

My current plan is to deconstruct it - do one block like hers (or similar if I can't handle the whole block format), right in the center, then have the other blocks be random-placed bits and pieces of the pattern, in a medallion format but with the medallion lines broken for inserted components, as if it had broken and was spinning out its bits and pieces, background color undecided...still "Under Construction" ! for practical me, very artsy-fartsy
Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Sashing width
I too like the toned down adaptations. Doing Bonnie's mysteries definitely put me out of my comfort zone. I have vertigo and all that movement really puts me over the edge! But I love doing her mysteries...I stretch myself with no real stress.
So I hope to make the centers solid and use sashing. My question is how wide should it be between blocks?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:06 PM

Like Quilt Addict I'm going to stay the course. When I chose the fabrics from my stash I added some that were my very favorites, so this is like a "I spy quilt" for me. I'm still sewing on clues when I get a few blocks together I will put a photo up.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 PM

This layout is making me less dizzy but is what it is..... a Mackinac Mess. LOL no disrespect to the designer but not my style. I get nauseous just looking at the original design.
i think I will add another two rows so 6 more blocks and 48 more Part 2 blocks. DH keeps shaking his head and asks if the fur babies will receive it. Absolutely, not. I put so much time into this quilt in addition to money as I had no scraps. I will keep it in my car just in case we have another snow storm in So Cal.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 01:56 PM

Actually, Nanny's Dollface, your is one I like.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:47 PM

I knew that this quilt would be busy. That is just BH's style. When I first saw BH quilt, I thought Whoa, this is too busy for me. But I put the blocks together and put them on my design. The longer they were on the wall, the better I liked them. I am starting the sashing now, and I have a feeling the longer it is on the wall the better I will like it. This is my first BH MQ and have really enjoyed the process and learned a lot. I hope she will continue with another MQ next year. A bit out of my comfort zone, but learned so much. I used a neutral and a black that the fabrics pretty much read as a solid, and I think that helped to calm down the design. I have enjoyed looking at all the variations to the quilt.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:37 PM

The reveal has stopped me dead in my tracks. Hate to say it, but YUCK! Will put the finished blocks away for a rainy day and go onto another project. I love scrappy quilts, have made many, but don't see the so-called "movement" in this one. Everyone worked very hard and I love their work, but unfortunately, this quilt just isn't for me. Glad I am not too far along (still one #1, fifty #2, about 30 of #4, one each #5). Maybe if I put the blocks away, I'll like them better someday (although I doubt it). Hopefully I'll be able to "upcycle" them into another quilt. For those of you who do finish the MQ...congratulations! I will check back on this thread to see how folks finished their quilts.

I mean no disrespect to those who like the quilt and for those who are continuing on with theirs. The colors are glorious (and ones that are in my comfort zone), but I just don't like the final pattern. Please don't take any offense - none is meant. Maybe I am just not a "brave" soul...