Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-13-2014, 08:02 AM

I am using a mixture of whites and off whites for my neutrals. I hope I like it when it's done!
Time to print out clue #3 and get started. Can't wait to cut into my greens.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:53 AM

I love the flowers! Great fabrics!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:02 AM

I'm still fretting over my neutrals. I have one that I really love -- a bright white with a large iridescent flower that isn't really obvious (seen in the top row, far left), but whenever I considered using it as the sole neutral, I would have doubts -- about it being too bright, or too plain, I guess (I haven't done many scrappy quilts). I'm still at the point where I could go back and re-do the first stage of clue #2 using only this neutral (I have extra pink triangles). The blacks aren't sewn on yet. But if I go on and do the greens with this assortment of neutrals, it will be the point of no return.

Does anyone have a strong feeling that this would look better with just the one white? Normally I would go with a strong preference like this, but not being able to assess in context is really throwing me off.
Attached Thumbnails imgp8644_fotor.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 AM

(((hugs))) Joe's Mom (((hugs))) it is such a mystery !!! My "just me" opinion is that your scrappy is great, including the neutrals......and yes that one is really special and luv it......but will it look like a 'signature' quilt if all the neutral are the same white when everything else is scrappy?......unless you need a signature quilt for a upcoming event, then wow, it would be perfect.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 AM

Joe's mom - all of your fabrics look great. I understand what you are saying about using white. I'm using white with colored dots for my neutral, but mine won't be nearly as scrappy!
Old 12-13-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Laughing because of some earlier comments about neutral fabrics. I went with strictly black and white which is out of the box for me...I usually do creams and tans. Here I have been wishing I had gone with those! Either way, these quilts will be fantastic. I think my "best" quilts have been Bonnie MQs! :-)
I almost went plain white and one black. But then I looked at my Celtic Solstice and really liked the scrappy neutrals so I decided to trust Bonnie and go scrappy. I did keep to the lighter neutrals and rejected a couple of darker tans that were originally in the mix. So far I like how it's coming along. Haven't had a chance to start step 3 yet as I'm trying to finish an anniversary quilt for DD and SIL. But I've managed to get about half each of the units for steps 1 and 2. This one looks fairly easy so hopefully I can get a few done this weekend.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Thank you for your input (and hugs!) SunlitenSmiles and michelleoc. I put several of the units with the favored white up together, and did not hear a heavenly choir sing, and it didn't seem quite as well balanced with the clue #1 units, so I believe I will move on to the greens with my assorted neutrals.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:28 AM

I so enjoy reading everyone's input, it makes the quilt so much more interesting. I'm glad to hear that Aurifil works on the 301A, going to give it a try now. I always use a med to light grey when piecing. I'v had many thoughts back and forth about the scrappy or not fabric choices. Then I realized we had a lot of the bright yellow to add and that will be the most eye catching, now I'm relaxing about the whole thing.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Joes mom- Im LOL at the heavenly choir!!

I'm fretting a bit over the neutrals also. I haven't done step 2 yet (I FMQ'ed a Christmas gift quilt for my sister this morning. Still need to quilt the border and do the binding)... So I'm looking at my lighter beiges and whites. Being a bit behind seems to have advantages. We can get tips and ideas from those that have been there/ done that...

Thanks for your comments on the printing. I'm good with just using my ipad (and screen shotting some stuff), but I'm worried that the pattern won't be available on her website once it's done... But considering last years is still there I doubt that once the final week is revealed she would delete it from her website.

I'm using Aurifil 2000 for my piecing. I'd call it off white and seems perfect...

I have a hard time with the scrappy- trying to keep it scrappy. I think if I do next year I would possibly prefer all the same colors.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:58 PM

Susan, if you have an ipad...you probably have iBooks. go th Bonnie's instructions, then go to printer friendly. it is a PDF form of her instructions. while there, touch your screen in top tight hand corner and touch open in iBooks. this will save the PDF on your ipad. when you need it you just go to the iBook app and it will be in your iBook library.