Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-13-2014, 01:38 PM

I can't believe how long it took me to get my strips the right size. I must have sewn and ripped 18 of them. I kept moving the needle this way and that way and it just never measured right. Finally (after 3 hours) I switched machines and now my strip sets are good. Whew!
Old 12-13-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
Susan, if you have an ipad...you probably have iBooks. go th Bonnie's instructions, then go to printer friendly. it is a PDF form of her instructions. while there, touch your screen in top tight hand corner and touch open in iBooks. this will save the PDF on your ipad. when you need it you just go to the iBook app and it will be in your iBook library.
You can also download Adobe Reader (free) that will open pdf's and you can save documents as a pdf too!
Old 12-13-2014, 02:41 PM

joe'smom - I love your fabrics! I almost chose the same yellow you are using, but was afraid it was too gold. Now I see yours and it's perfect. Regarding your neutrals: I think that one of the things that makes me love Bonnie's quilts is her vast variety of neutrals. I'm no where near what she uses - still too far from my comfort zone - but I think that the more there are, in a range of shades, is what makes a quilt sparkle. Your blacks are great, too; they make me realize how dull mine are.

LOL to the person who was wishing for more white neutrals. I'm using whites with black print on them and while they are cute, they are not my norm. In general, I reach for tan, taupe, dark cream... Then again, I don't usually use anything bright, either, so all in all, this is a change of pace for me!
Old 12-13-2014, 03:03 PM

I finished Clue #3 this afternoon. My design wall looks like something for St Pat's Day! I used a variation of off white and off white on off white for my neutrals. Next time I may try something out of my comfort zone.

I think Bonnie said the pattern would be on her site until June. For some reason that month is in my head.

Having a great time doing this first MQ of Bonnie's. Hopefully there will be many more from Bonnie. She is the greatest.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 PM

I have never done a mystery quilt but am having fun following along with everybody's posts to see how this progresses. At first I thought it would be too complicated for me to try, but so far the blocks look like ones a confident beginner could tackle!! Enjoying your efforts vicariously!!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM

I printed off clue #3, but haven't even been in the sewing room. Got both our moms in 2 different hospitals right now. :-( Maybe tomorrow I'll at least look at the green I chose. Maybe see if I can add any other greens to them. I was doing so well on clue #2! Glad to see #3 is not so complex! Am enjoying my first MQ.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:04 PM

Lost my dear husband 6 weeks ago. I have cut all the clue 1 pieces. I thinkmi'm going to cut each clue then wait till after Christmas and my life settles down to begin to piece them. This is my fourth bonnie MQ and i've loved everyone.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Oh Jo C, I am so sorry for your loss! Prayers for you and your family!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
I think Bonnie said the pattern would be on her site until June. For some reason that month is in my head.
Sophie2, she usually says that but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere (either the blog or the FB group) that she thinks, due to publishing schedules, that this one might be pulled down sooner.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
Is everyone actually printing off ALL the instructions.

Seems a slight waste of paper and ink. Has anyone condensed each week to a page or two successfully? I guess with the different options for each block that's not possible. I'm just thinking aloud trying to save on resources (so I can but more fabroc of course).

Any thoughts?
Susan, I cut and past the directions from the blog, then put in a word document. Then I can change it as I please, for example, take out any comments that don't directly help me with that clue, make the pictures smaller (I often make the pictures smaller and move them beside each other, or even delete a picture I don't think I'll need), make the font smaller, etc. I do print them out and have them in my work area. I may make notes for myself on the pages as I go along. I don't want too many pages printed out, either, but need to have a hard copy to work from.