Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 AM

You can pretty much count on lots and lots of small pieces in Bonnie's quilts. I don't think I've done one yet that wasn't over 3,000 pieces when it was said and done. But as you don't cut it all at once, it's not too overwhelming - and she's already said that this year's will be easier than last year's.

Although I've done several of her quilts, 3 or 4 of them as mysteries, I have yet to stay on schedule. Working full time and being gone or having company for both Thanksgiving and Christmas is a guarantee for me to not get it done, but I keep plugging away. Eventually they get done. My goal is within the year; sometimes I meet that goal and sometimes not. There are both Yahoo and Facebook groups devote to all things Quiltville; you'll find lots of support in either, should you choose to join. People continue to work on and encourage others long after the mystery is revealed.

Here are my fabrics. I will be using the yellow that is next to the pink. All of mine are toned down a bit from the colors on the paint chips. As my normal palette includes almost all earth tone and CW repro's, these are as bright as I can comfortably go!

BTW - my avatar quilt is the Quiltville mystery from 2 years ago. It's called "Easy Street;" I did not use the suggested colorway.
Attached Thumbnails final-pulls.jpg  

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 10-19-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:39 PM

peace and joy, I have the yellow you chose to use but not enough! It is a dead on color match though isn't it!
And I had two other pieces of yellow from that same line of fabric so I would have had enough if I used all 3 different yellows, but I was afraid to mix them since Bonnie is using the yellow as "constant".

Love your fabrics btw...
Old 10-19-2014, 05:01 PM

QuiiltingVagabond it's available on Etsy for $6/yd! (I don't know what the shipping is.) There are others who are using more than one yellow, too. It's funny - this fabric line has pink, turquoise, yellow, green... Sounds familiar, lol!I also have the print that has birds on the wire; am tentatively planning to use that for the binding. Will cut it on the bias so the "stripes" run diagonally.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Quilt Cam is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday night. Bonnie will post a confirmation of date and time on her blog on Monday. It's usually at 9:00 p.m. eastern time. She'll be talking about the MQ during the session for anyone who is interested in getting more information. If you can't watch it "live" it will be archived for later viewing on You Tube or by clicking on the quilt cam tab on her blog.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM

peaceandjoy, your fabrics are fabulous! I so want to do this mystery quilt but am not sure about the time commitment.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Went by Lowes on Friday and got 2 of the color chips but the other two were out of stock. Did not make the trip to the other Lowes. I stopped by Rosie's to pick up some FQs for secret santa but then went to the sales closet and purchased some black fabrics because have very few of the mostly black to use for the mystery. So not totally committed yet but sure leaning that way. Guess if I get my borders on last year's mystery I would feel better.

Only Bonnie knows what units we will be putting together but for sure there is Half Square Triangles (HST) since she does include the Easy Angle Ruler in the list of supplies. Since I have learned how to use it, I like it because I am making near perfect HST and not wasting the fabric of making them larger and then squaring them up. Much faster then the old way I was doing it. I have not tried the Thangles or other paper products.

Baggies - big YES. I use them also to keep the steps organized. The way the mystery works is you make some parts and then another part and then eventually you start to put them together. It is a good way to keep track of each step for me too.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 AM

I am excited! I have almost all my fabrics gathered and just leave them out to enjoy them until we get started.

I have the top (except for the border) together. I keep holding on to her statement that this year won't be as intense! LOL

I always keep the zipper/snap bags that curtains/sheets and other linens come in. That's what I use for the different clues. They've been big enough for each clue. When the next clue comes out and I stop working on the current one I just leave myself a little note to remind me where to start up again when I get back to it. Worked well for me.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 AM

I have never done a MG before but I think I will give this one a try.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:03 AM

I'm also planning on doing this but with a single fabric for each colour. I ordered the yellow/gold from Connecting threads, so as soon as it arrives will pull my other fabrics. I live 60 miles from the closest Lowe's so I go by the colours on the screen. I also don't like pink, so will probably use a rose. But we'll see.

I'm wondering if there won't be flying geese in this one since Bonnie usually uses the Easy Angle Companion in making flying geese, and all she mentions is the regular Easy Angle ruler. That would be lovely if so, as I'm not too keen on making the number and the size of FG she usually uses.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 AM

I will be doing the Mystery Quilt this year too. This is my first one, and I'm excited!

I'm not a pink person, so I'm substituting it with a red-orange color. I didn't have enough in my stash, so I ordered online. I'll post a pic of my fabrics when I get them.

Looking forward to Quiltcam tonight too! :-)