Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
zip-lock bags.................gulp..................the pieces are that small ? ? ?
We don't know yet... it's still a mystery!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:20 AM

zip-lock bags.................gulp..................the pieces are that small ? ? ?
The one gallon size Sunliten. I write the clue number and description of the pieces on a piece of card stock and slip it into the bag. When the clue is finished it goes into a labeled tote. That is the only way I can control fabric chaos. The ensuing scraps go into another tote labeled for the mystery to do a wild and crazy scrappy quilt.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:06 AM

I have most of my fabric and am sure getting excited about this. As a "newbie" , I have a few questions. 1. How often do the clues post? 2. Approximately how much quilting time do you spend getting each clue completed? 3. How easy is the Inklingo to use and does it help save time?

Can't wait to get started but I have 2 jobs and not a lot of quilting time, but REALLY want to keep pace because I am thinking some of the fun is the virtual quilt along with everyone else.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 AM

Nancy ... I've never done a mystery, but I've completed a lot of quilts and can (or can't) help with some of your questions.

The clues post weekly - from Bonnie's site "Our first clue goes live on Friday, November 28th, with each new clue being released on consecutive Fridays until we are complete. Plan on 6 to 8 clues – I haven’t decided how to break it down yet. Remember, it’s a mystery for a reason and some things need to be revealed without us knowing every detail first!"

She further states that it is very likely you will not complete everything you need to do within the week before the next clue is released, but to put the project aside and start the next clue anyway. That way you will be ready to follow subsequent clues. And remember to print all of the clues for yourself as they WILL be removed from the site at some point. Don't expect to finish all the cutting and sewing from one clue to the next would be my best advice. Plan on having some of them done and those along with your printed directions are your reference to finish the remainder on your own time after all the clues are posted.

Being a mystery, it's impossible to tell at this juncture how much time it will take without knowing how many pieces, size of pieces, construction (i.e. are there Y seams? (probably not!)), etc. We only know that there are 6 main colors which is quite a few - so I'm assuming the block will be fairly complicated (i.e. many pieces), and there is probably a sashing (just guessing from the black and neutrals). My assumptions are also based on some of Bonnie's other patterns where many colors were used.

I've never used Inklingo so can't help yo with that one.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:46 AM

The Grand Illusion will be my 3rd Bonnie Mystery. If there are going to be Half Square Triangles used in the quilt (I am sure there will), I will be using Trianglulations software to make them and I don't mind removing the paper. In my opinion Inklingo takes more time as the fabric needs to be adhered to the freezer paper and fed through the printer.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:08 AM

ok, that was really great info. I am in for this......are the clues going to be on this site or ?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:01 AM

ok, that was really great info. I am in for this......are the clues going to be on this site or ?
The links will be posted on her blog.... www.quiltville.blogspot.com. Just click on the Grand Illusion button on the top. If there are links at the bottom of the post that are live, the clue has been posted. 1st clue due Thanksgiving weekend. Happy stash diving!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Here are my fabrics, most from my stash but a few from an online shopping spree

Attached Thumbnails 193.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 AM

I've picked up the color cards, now to search my stash.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
I have most of my fabric and am sure getting excited about this. As a "newbie" , I have a few questions. 1. How often do the clues post? 2. Approximately how much quilting time do you spend getting each clue completed? 3. How easy is the Inklingo to use and does it help save time?

Can't wait to get started but I have 2 jobs and not a lot of quilting time, but REALLY want to keep pace because I am thinking some of the fun is the virtual quilt along with everyone else.
I just wanted to add that for HSTs, Bonnie loves to use the Easy Angle ruler. I used mine for the first time with the 600 HSTs in Roll, Roll Cotton Boll. It's a nice option you may want to try. :-)