Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Finally got my fabrics together

I've finally pulled my Grand Illusion fabrics - following Bonnie's colors. I've always admired folks that have done up their quilts in other colors, and found a combination I think would also look nice - don't know if I'll try a few blocks in this color way yet....
Attached Thumbnails my-fabrics-v3.jpg   possible-alt-ocean_coastal_color_palette.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 AM

PJ - the Motion of the Ocean colors look wonderful! I'm like you, I have seen some really great quilts where people change the colors, and seen some pretty awful ones too. I'm chicken - I just use her color choices, that way I KNOW it will look great! This is my 5th Bonnie Mystery Quilt! It often takes me out of my comfort zone, using her colors too.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 AM

Pj, I love that color combo. I'm sure it will look awesome when done.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:20 PM

I can't wait to get started. Just saw on her Blog that the instructions were up (I've been out of town so missed her actual post). Now to see if I have fabric in stash for this.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
I've finally pulled my Grand Illusion fabrics - following Bonnie's colors. I've always admired folks that have done up their quilts in other colors, and found a combination I think would also look nice - don't know if I'll try a few blocks in this color way yet....
Like both of your choices. Where did you find that Motion of the Ocean colour scheme? I found a website a couple of years ago that had hundreds of those images, but I lost all my favourites in a computer change and can't find it again. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
Hello ladies! I haven't been on the board in a really long time, but when I was picking out my colors I was thinking about how I came on here last year to ask your opinions. I decided to totally change the colors and make it more of a camo quilt so that my boys can have options too lol. Poor things always love the design but hate the colors (as I tend to make them with girly one) I have my colors picked by how much I have of each one. I am 2" short on one, but usually have some left so I hope I will be ok. Totally doing this from stash and was surprised I had enough for this to begin with. Please let me know what you guys think.

Oh yeah, I have looked at everyone else's fabrics and I LOVE them! Can't wait to do this mystery this year. This is my 5th mystery with Bonnie and have never been disapointed.
Your fabric choices definitely will come out more manly! I might change which colors I'm subbing for, based on the values of the colors. For instance, she told us to use the darkest pink and green, but the lighter two aquas... and I think the middle value yellow. If you sub a dark color, exchange it for a dark/bold paint color. And sub your lighter colors for the lighter paint colors, like the aqua and yellow. That's the only thing I would do different with your choices. Otherwise, the design may not come out as dynamic, if the "values" aren't working similar to Bonnie's.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I noticed that so far from the photos of selected fabrics that no one has included batiks. I am torn between using batiks or regular cotton. I don't have enough of either so that doesn't help me decide. It seems like most of the BH quilts I've seen are rarely done in batik. Is there a practical reason for this?

I think I will need to see the quilt block more developed than individual pieces to decide on fabric selection. Can't wait for it to get started!!
I've got plenty of batiks in my pink, green and teal colors. Like Bonnie I am using a single yellow constant. I've not pulled my neutrals yet but I'm certain at least a few batik scraps will make their way into that category, and I know I've got at least one black batik in my scrap bin.

I do mix batiks and regular fabrics, but because the weight of each is so different ... if the pieces are small I will re-adjust my seam allowance to a very scant 1/4" then trim down if necessary. It's usually only necessary when I'm working with small cuts though.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
checked the stash and have everything I need........what about this ruler, EZ angle, is it really that helpful ???
I think it is helpful although I don't always get exactly the size I'm going for. I just need a little more practice. I waited for a coupon for Joanne's and got it about 40% off so it was well worth the price. I've used it in Bonnie's Jamestown Landing and am excited about using it again.

I have all my fabrics if anyone is having trouble getting the paint chips I can mail mine to you. Just PM me.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 AM

Is the Bonnie Hunter style mainly small scale one-two color prints which blend? I have never done a BH quilt. when I saw her color chips all I could think was KAFFE KAFFE KAFFE!!!

I saw a Kaffe log cabin on the internet and it struck me it looked really good, so I thought maybe...

You think Kaffe would work?

Thanks folks
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Just signed up for the email alerts. Just my luck I would forget.