Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Is the Bonnie Hunter style mainly small scale one-two color prints which blend? I have never done a BH quilt. when I saw her color chips all I could think was KAFFE KAFFE KAFFE!!!

I saw a Kaffe log cabin on the internet and it struck me it looked really good, so I thought maybe...

You think Kaffe would work?

Thanks folks
I haven't done a BH quilt either. My impression, from what's been said, is that her pieces are small. Since Kaffe tends to be large scale, you might have to do some fussy cutting in order to get the right colors for particular pieces. Just guessing, though!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I haven't done a BH quilt either. My impression, from what's been said, is that her pieces are small. Since Kaffe tends to be large scale, you might have to do some fussy cutting in order to get the right colors for particular pieces. Just guessing, though!

Yes, Bonnie uses small shapes in her quilts (at least she has for the past four mysteries I have done). Smaller prints are probably better.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I just spotted this thread and was so thrilled to see it! I have been collecting my fabrics and even purchased some fat quarters to fill in. Am enjoying seeing the posted fabric and looking forward to reading each and everyone's comments. Thank you so much for starting this Podunk Princess!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Can't believe we still have a month to wait before we can start this quilt~ (whine, whine, whiiiiiiiinnnnee......)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 PM

For those interested in playing with color, Color Capture is an app available for iPads. It is a color selection tool for BenMoore paints. You use the app to take a picture from nature...like a beach at sunset or that flowering cactus. Then the app grabs the colors and gives you a palet to play with. Nature doesn't get it wrong!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colo...318034543?mt=8

Last edited by Wavewatcher; 10-28-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Can't believe we still have a month to wait before we can start this quilt~ (whine, whine, whiiiiiiiinnnnee......)
Better get all that whining out before the mystery. Remember Bonnie's rule, "No whining."
Old 10-29-2014, 02:21 AM

I'm thinking of trying this MQ. I've never done an MQ and am not sure I'm going to be good at not seeing the final product to choose my colors but that's another post. I like bright colors but the chosen colors are just too much for me so I need an opinion. I'm thinking of using the yellow, pink and turquoise, but making yellow one of the scrap colors and using gray as the constant. It would have to be a deep enough gray that it contrasts with the neutrals and not so dark that it fights the black but removing the green and substituting something that feels a little less overwhelming really appeals to me. Feedback please.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:39 AM

Choosing a different colorway without a pattern to go by is an adventure in itself! Irish, there's quite a bit of black, and the thought of all that black plus all that gray seems to me like it might be overly somber. I wonder if you could replace the black with a different neutral? I don't naturally gravitate to such a bright color palette, but I find I'm loving this one!

sewbizgirl, the anticipation is half the fun! I'm actually kind of glad we have this interlude, because I have a top and a backing that I'd love to finish up before we start, so my wall is all clear for the mystery!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wavewatcher View Post
For those interested in playing with color, Color Capture is an app available for iPads. It is a color selection tool for BenMoore paints. You use the app to take a picture from nature...like a beach at sunset or that flowering cactus. Then the app grabs the colors and gives you a palet to play with. Nature doesn't get it wrong!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colo...318034543?mt=8
That is cool that there is an app for that. That is how I have always chosen a color scheme, taking a picture that really speaks to me (either a photo, or painting, sometimes even an advertising) and pulling colors from that. Or taking a piece a fabric that I am drawn to and using the colors in the selvedge for the color scheme even if I don't use that fabric (like if it is upholstery or other non appropriate fabrics)
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
I am sure everyone knows this......but just in case........if you click on the little black down arrow triangle that is just before the word 'page' you get a drop-down box where you can key in the number of any page you want to skip over to. Key number in and then click on 'go'
I did not know that! Thanks soooooooo much!