Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Got my yellow, pinks and aquas...no green, black or nuetrals yet. Will keep a look out for them. One of my local fabric stores is going out of business They did have big sales but still! It sucks cause there aren't many left.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Sorry to hear that, Sauki1. I suppose more and more people are shopping on line. I would be very sad if my favorite LQS closed!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Jim

Got all my fabrics selected and had to buy a few more but I am ready to start now if only the ruler gets here on time...its bought and paid for just waiting to be delivered in the mail. To get a good variety of fabrics if I had to buy them, I bought 9 inches of different designs but same color values...never joined in on Bonnie's MQ but, anxiously awaiting this one. Im a big cost saver/couponer/bargain hunter so I won't get the first clue on the 27th until late....we will be shopping most of that day for the bargains...most of our Christmas shopping will be completely finished that day.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
It is difficult to choose, not knowing how the colors will be used. I am not finding a yellow that is close to the card. I'm getting the color right, but they've been either more toned down than the card, or a fair amount darker. I really would like to find a yellow that is close to the depth and brightness of the card, so as to get the relationship of colors correct. Or should I not worry about it, and just choose one that goes well with my pinks, blues and greenns?
Hi Joe'smom... just pick a yellow you like, that is pleasing with your other colors, and then make sure it's the proper value (not too dark or light). If you like the fabrics now I'm sure you will love them in a quilt.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Belfrybat;6942862]I ordered a yellow/gold fabric and it is a lot more gold than I expected, so my colours will be much deeper/richer than Bonnie's. But I need to use fabrics from my stash. I'm not too keen on the B/W, but it is the only piece I have that is large enough. But what I'm really wondering about is the pink. I have two options: a medium pink with a large tone on tone pattern that should provide "movement" in the quilt (something Bonnie tends to emphasize). Or a rose that has a smaller print. Which do you think goes better?

I prefer the rose. I am also using strictly from stash & using single fabrics for the colors. I have this particular yellow fabric that has pink & blue mingled in it...have had it for years. I am going to use it for the yellow. So, my quilt will be more pastel colored (which I much more prefer...& I will probably keep it for myself)...blue instead of the tourquoise & darkish grey instead of the black & white/white for the neutrals. Will take pics next week. Lovely colors being shown by everyone!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I love the bright yellow, pink, green and blues but I do not like using black in quilts. I'm not sure there is a way to make this without it. Maybe a navy?? Anyone else thinking of switching out the black to something else?
I'm using a darkish grey...of course not totally using her whole pallette either... Use whatever pleases you. I think it just needs to be dark.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Vicki - I would use the rose color fabric. Smaller prints are always better in Bonnie's quilts, as has been said before, she likes to use small pieces!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:03 PM

I think I am getting nervous about the small pieces. I don't usually go that direction.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by cmputerdazed View Post
I think I am getting nervous about the small pieces. I don't usually go that direction.
Don't let it scare you. I avoided them for a while for that reason. But Bonnie breaks it down into steps that are easy to follow. Plus, you can always make a smaller size. Just join in the fun.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Vicki - I would use the rose color fabric. Smaller prints are always better in Bonnie's quilts, as has been said before, she likes to use small pieces!
I know this...it wasn't mine we were talking about...it was belfrybat. I thought her rose was better.