Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 PM

I'm in for this one too. This will be my third BH mystery quilt. We don't have the paint stores she talks about here in Australia so I pick from the screen on my ipad. I just have to put the borders on the mystery train quilt with Judy and finish about 6 blocks for last years BH quilt and I'm good to go. love every ones fabric choices it will be fun to follow this thread and every ones progress.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

My daughter and son-in-law just found a featherweight and gave it to me for my 70th birthday!!!! I had said I wanted one which is as old as me and this one was born in Jan.,1948 so we are contemporaries! I plan to do this MQ on my new friend so I can really bond with it ! Can't wait...this would be my 3rd BH MQ if I can count the CS which is "almost" done!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Happy Birthday, Terri! What a great gift....
Old 11-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Quiltaddiction and Terry, I'm also just finishing my CS from last year. I'd be a lot farther along if I didn't have to rip a whole row last night! Hope to have it done before starting the new mystery.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:57 AM

I am quilting the last 3rd of my CS. I quilt mine in 3rds - just sandwich, then cut the side battings off. Quilt the middle, then use fusible interfacing to put one of the battings back on, then quilt that section, then do the last section. I do have a large harp (Brother PQ1500s), this procedure makes it so much easier to quilt. I hope to have it finished this week.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I am quilting the last 3rd of my CS. I quilt mine in 3rds - just sandwich, then cut the side battings off. Quilt the middle, then use fusible interfacing to put one of the battings back on, then quilt that section, then do the last section. I do have a large harp (Brother PQ1500s), this procedure makes it so much easier to quilt. I hope to have it finished this week.
JeanieG, I've only done one QAYG machine quilted project and despite being really careful while I was doing it the batting started separating when I started using and washing the quilt. When I say separating I mean that I can hold the quilt up to the light and see that the batting is not longer touching - it has spread apart where I had butted it up together. I though I had been really careful to butt the edges up together and I thought I had ship stitched the pieces together before I quit the quilt. I also heavily quilted it, as in 1/4-1/2." So, I'd love to do another one in sections but am too nervous to try it. You've had success with it? Any more tips, other than what you've shared above? Exactly what do you do with the fusible interfacing. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 AM

My advice to newbies to MQs is to choose fabrics that go well with the others as you dont know what will be next to each other.Some of mine if I had known I would have chosen differently. Of Course with Bonnie she gives you a very wide range of choices and mostly they do well .
Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 AM

It is difficult to choose, not knowing how the colors will be used. I am not finding a yellow that is close to the card. I'm getting the color right, but they've been either more toned down than the card, or a fair amount darker. I really would like to find a yellow that is close to the depth and brightness of the card, so as to get the relationship of colors correct. Or should I not worry about it, and just choose one that goes well with my pinks, blues and greenns?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Decided to acquire the color chip cards only to find out Lowes was out of the yellow ones. Guess that's telling us lots of folks are going to be working on this mystery. I had a friend drop by Lowes to pick this up for me as I don't have one near me. I had gone to Ace Hardware 1st as I remembered they carried Valspar paints too and that's when I realize that each store seems to carry a specific set of paint chips/paint. DRAT!!!!!! Why do they make life so difficult for us????

Anyway, since I don't plan to start with the rest of you I can pick up the yellow paint chip at another time.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
JeanieG, I've only done one QAYG machine quilted project and despite being really careful while I was doing it the batting started separating when I started using and washing the quilt. When I say separating I mean that I can hold the quilt up to the light and see that the batting is not longer touching - it has spread apart where I had butted it up together. I though I had been really careful to butt the edges up together and I thought I had ship stitched the pieces together before I quit the quilt. I also heavily quilted it, as in 1/4-1/2." So, I'd love to do another one in sections but am too nervous to try it. You've had success with it? Any more tips, other than what you've shared above? Exactly what do you do with the fusible interfacing. Thank you!

I use the fusible interfacing to bond the two pieces of batting back together before I quilt each section. I don't really consider it a QAYG project. The whole quilt top and backing is the finished size - the only thing I do different is cut the batting into 3rds. I quilt first the middle, attach the batting back on one side via about 1" to 1 1/2" of fusible interfacing, quilt that section, then do the same with the other side. You could also whip stitch the interfacing back together by hand, I have done this also. They actually have pre-made strips to fuse the batting together, but I just cut the interfacing myself - much cheaper. (Clear as mud!)