Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Here are the fabrics I'm planning to use.........
Attached Thumbnails bonnie-hunter-mystery-grand-illusion-2014.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 07:41 AM

Those will make a gentle, soothing quilt. I'm wondering if the gray is too dark for the other fabrics, and will look unbalanced. Have you considered using a lighter gray for your neutral?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Those will make a gentle, soothing quilt. I'm wondering if the gray is too dark for the other fabrics, and will look unbalanced. Have you considered using a lighter gray for your neutral?
Love the pastels. I might choose a bit lighter gray as well.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
My local Ace Hardware carries Valspar, but none of the numbers match. Guessing that this is a special line that only Lowes carries. Although my Ace had many chips in all these colors, I couldn't find a yellow that seemed close. I printed the pattern in color and it looks pretty good so that's what I'll be using. Nearest Lowes is an hour away and I'm afraid that store may be out after hearing others comments.
I couldn't find any of the #'s at 4 different stores that carry Valspar but the one store told me that the paint line is Called "Traditions" if that helps anyone.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I tried to stay darker because of the black...but you're right, may have to consider a lighter grey. But looking at it in person, it does sorta pop those colors out. Definately something to think about...will see once the clues come out. The picture above seems lighter than the fabrics are in person...they're brighter in person, but still soft.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM

I am intrigued by this MQ. Have 99% of the colors in my stash, but will have to buy the yellow. Fat quarters and scraps are okay to use according to her blog.

I will see what the first clue is and go from there. Maybe I will do this quilt, maybe not. I am not a fan of quilts where I need to buy specific rulers, books, etc., maybe I'm cheap, but I've known too many quilters that end up with piles of rulers, etc., that they've only used once and never again. Seems like a waste of money to me. If BH is going to have us make HST, I'm sure I can use whatever method I want and am comfortable with to make them. Am I right or does BH usually do unexpected things with her rulers? I'm asking this because I've never done a MQ and if I decide to do it, will I actually need to buy the ruler?

I've subscribed to this thread and can't wait to see the progress. Oh...one more thing. In reading BH's blog, she asked that we PLEASE not post detailed instructions, helpful hints, suggestions, etc. She wants us to ask her if we have problems figuring out the clues. She said there were problems in the past with people "rewriting" her MQ instructions to try and make it easier for people who don't understand the clues. I can see her point, but I can also see asking other members who are doing the MQ for advice.

Off to Lowe's in the morning for the paint chips...
Old 11-07-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I am not a fan of quilts where I need to buy specific rulers, books, etc. . . If BH is going to have us make HST, I'm sure I can use whatever method I want and am comfortable with to make them. Am I right or does BH usually do unexpected things with her rulers? I'm asking this because I've never done a MQ and if I decide to do it, will I actually need to buy the ruler?
You don't need to buy the ruler. That's just her favorite way of making HST so that's what she teaches. But in past mysteries she said the important thing is to get the correct finished size using whatever method works best for you.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I've subscribed to this thread and can't wait to see the progress. Oh...one more thing. In reading BH's blog, she asked that we PLEASE not post detailed instructions, helpful hints, suggestions, etc. She wants us to ask her if we have problems figuring out the clues. She said there were problems in the past with people "rewriting" her MQ instructions to try and make it easier for people who don't understand the clues. I can see her point, but I can also see asking other members who are doing the MQ for advice.
I didn't get the impression from the intro on Bonnie's blog, that she didn't want us helping each other while we discuss our progress in on line forums. I think what she doesn't want is people putting the directions for the quilt on their own websites, rather than referring people to her website for the information. That seems reasonable to me.

I hope you will decide to join in -- no ruler required!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Anita, Bonnie will give instructions on how to cut the triangles using traditional methods. Personally I love using the Easy Angle Ruler. I have done the last four of her Mystery Quilts, and used this ruler in all of them. In fact, I always grab that ruler when doing any triangles. You cut the size strips of fabric she tells you, place two strips face side together, then simply put the ruler on the fabric, cut one side, flip it over and cut the other side, and repeat. The pieces are ready to chain piece. Easy-peasy!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Anita: I so agree with you on the needless ruler thing but I do have four non-ruler rulers, if you know what I mean. They are the Easy Angle, Tri Tool, Recs Tool and the Companion Ruler. They are not one use rulers, they use the basic rules of geometry to give you the variety of angles you naturally use in cutting the shapes. It's true that if you paid attention in geometry you can use the angled lines on a regular ruler but unfortunately I didn't. If you have a preferred method all to the good, just saying these aren't the one use kind.