Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Got clue 2 and in it she says:

So in Part I, in the broken dishes unit, I used two aquas, two pinks, one black and one yellow, with that yellow being the only constant in all the units that was the same – everything else was many fabrics within those color families. Not matched pairs of triangles.

AARGH... I did all my broken dishes blocks with matched pairs of triangles! Wish I'd caught this BEFORE I did all the work! How many others did the same? I'm too quick to jump from picture to picture without reading all the text, I guess, but it would have really helped if she posted pics of some of her finished units, as she did with clue 2, and not just the solid color illustration from EQ.

I wonder how important this is... and if I should go and fix them all.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:07 AM

Your quilt, your rules! I saw some just like this on her link page. I would just consider it a controlled scrappy!
I am only using one color for all the pinks and the other colors so mine will not be as scrappy as hers.

After reading the directions about 6 times I decided since I don't have an easy angle ruler and my printer does not print templates the correct size that I will be doing the third method but I will be wasting. No way am I interested in using those tiny leftovers anywhere! Poor manual dexterity and poor vision makes it too frustrating to bother.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Got clue 2 and in it she says:

So in Part I, in the broken dishes unit, I used two aquas, two pinks, one black and one yellow, with that yellow being the only constant in all the units that was the same – everything else was many fabrics within those color families. Not matched pairs of triangles.

AARGH... I did all my broken dishes blocks with matched pairs of triangles! Wish I'd caught this BEFORE I did all the work! How many others did the same? I'm too quick to jump from picture to picture without reading all the text, I guess, but it would have really helped if she posted pics of some of her finished units, as she did with clue 2, and not just the solid color illustration from EQ.

I wonder how important this is... and if I should go and fix them all.
I wouldn't fix them. She said it was ok to use just one fabric for each color so it shouldn't matter if you have matched pairs in your blocks.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:15 AM

sewbizgirl, your blocks are beautiful as is. To tell you the truth, I didn't even notice they were matched! Just consider it a design choice. It will not interfere in any way with the quilt working.

I was hoping I could avoid making a decision on neutrals for awhile longer. How will I decide what works best without knowing how everything interacts? I have one neutral I love, that reads as plain white, which I have enough of to use throughout, but wonder if it would look plain and empty. On the other hand, I have a variety, and could mix it up, but wonder if it would look cluttered. Normally, I would lay it all out on the wall and make an informed decision.

Maybe I'll just keep working on clue #1 . . .
Old 12-05-2014, 07:36 AM

I dont think matched triangles will matter. When you get all those tiny pieces sewed together and view it from across the room, you will not notice they are matching, all you will see is the color family.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Sewbizgirl, I totally agree with everyone that your matched pairs won't show a bit.

joe'smom, This is my first BH so I know nothing and I'm mostly using one fabric for each color. I originally was going to use a white on white for the neutral but then remembered that there is more neutral fabric needed than any other color. I am going to change my neutral from the white on white to a more busy fabric, just to make it more interesting but if you want the white to stand out then maybe stick with the piece you like. The picture of the Grand Hotel in winter has a LOT of white.

Sunliten, Did you post your first step? I think I missed it.

Last edited by whitepine; 12-05-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 AM

I don't know whether I will continue with this mystery quilt. This 2nd clue is confusing to me & I can't get the pdf file to download so I can print it out. How big is the pdf file? Anyone know? My internet connection sucks...
I'm a bit discouraged.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Is it my imagination or are the blocks for #2 going together a lot faster than #1 did? I am going with white for the neutral, I know I am running the risk of the neutrals being next to the whites but decided that in an effort to slightly simplify the design I would risk it. I've made an Irish Chain and several scrappies with a lot of white and always like the fresh crisp look.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Josie: Your colors are beautiful! Rust is one of my favorite colors.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:51 AM

nope, did not even take a photo yet but I will.....mine are just the colors of the paint chips and I matched the aquas and the rosy pinks.....oh, well ........have 25 of the unit two ready to press now and just read the instructions again that they are to be sewn in pairs....so 25 more, no wait 50 more......have to read this when my DD prints it...reading on the screen gives me a headache................I think I am going to have a constant neutral, yes I am.