Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Thank you for your thoughts, whitepine! I'm sure either would work, but I don't have any idea which I would like better in the context of the whole quilt. I guess this is part of the challenge of an MQ! I'm thinking I will mock up a bunch with just the white, and a bunch with varied, and see which seems nicer when viewed near the part 1 units.

On the technical side, it appears I will have to use method #3, as my computer does not print PDF templates the right size, even though it is set to 'no scaling'. From a close look at the photos, it appears there would be no way to accurately position the ruler without the template taped to it. Maybe I could draw the template myself, since Bonnie has given the measurements for the lengths of the sides?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by somoquilter View Post
I don't know whether I will continue with this mystery quilt. This 2nd clue is confusing to me & I can't get the pdf file to download so I can print it out. How big is the pdf file? Anyone know? My internet connection sucks...
I'm a bit discouraged.
I understand what you're saying. I decided to go with the option that gives you leftover, smaller HST because I did that method on one of her other quilts (Star struck?) and it went fairly quickly once I got into a groove. I don't understand pdf files.... I hope you'll at least play around with them a while before giving up. I'll bet you can figure it out and everyone here is so helpful. I think it was Emma who came up with an alternate idea for a tricky block last year that was much easier.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Somo: No, No, No,....let us help you. Clue #2 has multiple ways to make the block. The last way can be done with just the rotary cutter and a simple ruler. The neutral is cut 2.5 by 4.5 and the pink and black are cut 2.5 X 2.5. Mark your line diagonally on the squares and sew to the neutral. Just be sure to have the slant going the right way. Please don't give up, this step is simpler than the 1st.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:03 AM

my DD just stopped by with the printout.....it is the third way​.....yikes I said the second, reading on screen I read 1 and 2 as the same.....I know she will read this link at lunch or break...........I really am doing the neutral as constant because I have one I like so much best.....and it looks great with this unit.....pictures soon, promise.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Is it my imagination or are the blocks for #2 going together a lot faster than #1 did? I am going with white for the neutral, I know I am running the risk of the neutrals being next to the whites but decided that in an effort to slightly simplify the design I would risk it. I've made an Irish Chain and several scrappies with a lot of white and always like the fresh crisp look.
Faster? I hope so. I won't have time to work on them today, but I'd love to get a lot accomplished quickly tomorrow!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 AM

somoquilter, you won't have to deal with the PDF file if you choose option #3. Then you're only working with squares. It looks very similar to the line-drawing method of making HSTs.

Emma S, did you mean, 'run the risk of the whites being next to the blacks'? Do we not want our whites next to the blacks?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 AM

did quilt blocks with template taped to ruler once............ oh it turned out great...but....never, ever, ever again !!!

25 on the ironing board now.....getting flashbacks of the 50's "Blue Suede Shoes" "Party Girl"
ruffled petticoats under felt 'poodle skirts'

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Thanks for posting this--I think I'm going to try this one. Not yet sure about colors--I'm not much of a yellow fan. But, we have time to think and plan.
I love yellow, but totally not a pink fan. I have decided to use red instead.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Joe's mom: No I meant as we go along, putting the quilt together, the whites may be next to the neutrals. In my case it could leave a large just white area. My guess is that Bonnie won't put the neutrals next to the whites so I will probably be okay.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 AM

lots of geraniums are red