Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-02-2015, 07:12 AM

Brooke, I really like yours!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
Wow! I just caught up and read every thing that had been posted and have to say I missed alot! Everyones work so far looks great. My sister left to go back home on Tuesday, so that left Wednesday to clean house and yesterday to play. I have put together they way I would like it. I added pinwheels instead of solid blocks to the dashing and solid instead of for patch to my centers. All in all I am pleased and will find something to do with what I have left to make another throw.
really like the pinwheels in the sashing.... did you try one in the center of the block ?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:26 AM

After looking at countless photos yesterday, I've decided I think the pattern is brilliant (when it works). But it is certainly true that it works better with some fabric choices than others (understatement). I've been trying to understand which color choices work best. I agree, some of the darker greens are very problematic. Also, it seems too strong a yellow will stop the spin. I really hope mine will work; I don't think you can tell until you have a few blocks together, and I am far from that point.

I'm sorry so many are unhappy with the reveal. I'm really eager to get on with mine (I did no sewing yesterday, was too busy looking at photos, LOL), and hopeful that I will like it in the end. Even if I don't, though, I have enjoyed this process immensely, and that won't change. I hope people will continue to post photos. I will, as soon as I have something together. Still plodding through clue #2.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:47 AM

Brooke I like yours and Siodach the double sashing works well. I mean no disrespect to Bonnie but the finish doesn't speak to me. I have only made blue and pink HST and the double diamond units so far and playing on my design wall this is what I think I will go with:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504455[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pinwheel-center.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:10 AM

Siodach, For the 3 1/2" corner blocks you used green to match the little squares. That really defines the block a lot. I tried the all pink center too but with my colors, it was just too much pink. Even if I were doing a pink center, I think I would still make it a four patch of different pinks. I also like the flipped green squares. Not wild about the extra sashing though.

Brooke, Very interesting pinwheel idea in the corners.

I can see that it's still early to start sewing.

I have a question for you folks who have done other BH mysteries. Do they always provoke such creativity or were people more satisfied with the result?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Whitepine: I wasn't on FB in the past so I am not sure if this is exceptional or not. I do think a lot more people have trouble with the pink than colors in the past. I know its true that leading quilters is a great deal like herding cats.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:40 AM

lol...lol herding cats......with what saucers of cream ???

Bonnie said early on, the 'pink' was not baby but more of rose geranium.. my DDIL's Mom has a collection of geraniums and the visual impact is great (along the side of an authentic, vintage Victorian home) so that was the color I liberated from stash.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:21 AM

I started to put one block together. I am going to stay the course but agree it is busy but expected that from the beginning. But I may make two smaller throws instead of a 2/3 size one that I had planned. It is really interesting to see everyone's options for changes. I do enjoy mystery quilts so will do more in the future but I did not do any New Year day one this year. Too much with this MQ and other UFOs to justify starting another. Haven't quilted the two tops that I did last NYD.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 AM

Emma, LOL. Well, it sure has brought out some problem solving abilities. I have yet another one I'm going to try.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
OK so I played with photoshop instead of sewing, what do you guys think about adding extra sashing? (Outer border still to be sorted.....)

black
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504452[/ATTACH]

red
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504453[/ATTACH]

combo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504454[/ATTACH]

back to the sewing machine now lol
cheers, K
I want to like the middle red the best, but really like the black the best.