Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-02-2015, 08:45 PM

PamH, that is a beautiful quilt. It is one of the mystery trains that I missed and plan to go back and do. I love your colors.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Well I have put my first block together and the more I look at it the more I like it, Bonnie's patterns are always busy IMO so those who say it is busy should have really looked at her previous MQs and then would have had an idea what they were in for.

Knowing this I didn't go too scrappy use a white on white on the diagonals and kept the black tone on tone for them as well, I thought I was being a bit plain but now I am pleased I did, I also fortunately found a nice tone-n-tone Aqua for the cornerstones and am quite pleased with the effect.

I will carry on and most likely finish a nice double size quilt and then go to bed with sunglasses on
Attached Thumbnails grand-illusion-block.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 PM

I am trying so hard not to be negative about this quilt!!! But it is really stressful, no matter what I do to it on the design wall, it still looks like scrambled eggs "bright scrambled eggs"!! I'm going to finish it to be just like Bonnie's, if I put it away, it will never get finished! Maybe one of the GDs will want it!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
The reveal has stopped me dead in my tracks. Hate to say it, but YUCK! Will put the finished blocks away for a rainy day and go onto another project. I love scrappy quilts, have made many, but don't see the so-called "movement" in this one. Everyone worked very hard and I love their work, but unfortunately, this quilt just isn't for me. Glad I am not too far along (still one #1, fifty #2, about 30 of #4, one each #5). Maybe if I put the blocks away, I'll like them better someday (although I doubt it). Hopefully I'll be able to "upcycle" them into another quilt. For those of you who do finish the MQ...congratulations! I will check back on this thread to see how folks finished their quilts.

I mean no disrespect to those who like the quilt and for those who are continuing on with theirs. The colors are glorious (and ones that are in my comfort zone), but I just don't like the final pattern. Please don't take any offense - none is meant. Maybe I am just not a "brave" soul...
Anita...that was my initial reaction. I know that with my particular scrappiness factor that I have in my blocks, no pattern is showing much at all. Not even from afar. I'm working on a "variation of the theme" as I had the blocks made. However, it's taking quite a while as I have a big variation going. But, I'm loving what's happening. Will post here.

I like many of BH's patterns, but I do like also to see a pattern and not have to search hard for it. Some people's colors work better than others. I love pink, yellow, aqua and green--all of these colors are so me. That pink is probably my all time favorite. I have headphones in that color, a camera, a wallet and am currently wearing a turtleneck that color. I wanted more to show up. So, I'm making it work. Will post when I finish. I will still have an illusion. The only thing is, I have 25 finished blocks, Will use 16 in my remake and maybe go ahead and use the other 9 and make a 3x3 "original" as well just to contrast the two. Maybe the spinning will show up, but I'm noticing that the scrappier they are, the less obvious the spinning. The brighter or lighter the greens, the better the look IMO, and my greens are definitely more of a grass green, mostly. So, we'll see. I knew when I started a mystery that there was a danger in this. I have so many ideas floating in my head that I want to do, that previously, doing a mystery wasn't my thing--I was hoping for something so impressive--like her Smith Mountain Morning-- But it's okay...use the elements for something else or work them into a different scrappy. However, I bought these pinks and yellow and aquas for this, so I'm trying to make something fantastic!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:43 AM

Has anyone tried the neutral as a cornerstone instead of the aqua? I'm not far enough along to try it myself but would love to see it if someone has.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 AM

QuiltingaddictUK, I think that's looking wonderful! I think you'll be especially pleased with the effect your brighter block neutral has. I was wishing after the reveal that I'd used a gray (which I loved) in my clue #3 units, to set them apart from the block, but I didn't have the courage to mix white and non-white neutrals, not knowing how they'd be used.

mawluv, I think that's a good attitude. Might as well finish it and end up with something useful that someone else might like!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Pam: That is so beautiful. Judy's designs are always amazing. The way you quilted it did really nice things to the design!
Sadie: Love hat last one.hank you for sharing.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
QuiltingaddictUK, I think that's looking wonderful! I think you'll be especially pleased with the effect your brighter block neutral has. I was wishing after the reveal that I'd used a gray (which I loved) in my clue #3 units, to set them apart from the block, but I didn't have the courage to mix white and non-white neutrals, not knowing how they'd be used.

mawluv, I think that's a good attitude. Might as well finish it and end up with something useful that someone else might like!
Thanks for your comments, I have now put 3 blocks together and am liking it more and more. I noticed later that I had got the centre blocks going alternate ways so I will continue to do so I really cannot bother doing some froggy sewing.
Attached Thumbnails grand-ilusion-blocks.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 AM

I'm thinking about redoing my diagonal blocks with white on white. I didn't get many of those made anyway. But before I do that I want to lay out 3 or 4 blocks to see if the pattern shows up.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:41 AM

I definitely wouldn't worry about the block centers. I think I will alternate mine, as well.