Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-09-2015, 05:31 AM

Jeanie: Look real close at Brooke's picture. The child on the left is a little boy. Those extreme pigtails are a picture frame his head just lined up with. I know only because someone pointed it out on Facebook.
I think I am going to try to find a all over design that mimics the movement of the design itself. Whirls, or swirls, something with a lot of movement.
I have only the pieced border and the solid outside border (that I'm adding) to do. May be done today.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 AM

Okay, you guys are so helpful. After looking at the comments and pictures I've made a definite decision. I'm going to do lap size quilts, 3 blocks by 4 blocks. I'm going to make one BHs way and the other Brookemaries way. If I like the outcome, great, but if not, that's really okay too because I thoroughly enjoyed the process and that is why I quilt, because I enjoy it.

I also want to add that someone (I think it was Emma) cautioned about changing colors because you may lose the design. In my case, changing colors wasn't the issue as long as the basic value was the same, but switching black and yellow made a big difference. I lost the swirling, windy look achieved by the dark blocks. I'll remember this in the future.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive input. I do love this board!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Justflyingin, you have been BUSY! Both of your quilts are drop dead gorgeous!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Brooke, those are both wonderful! Cute daughters too!

Thimblebug - I'm quilting mine on my DSM. I usually SITD - I don't care for meander/stipple either. I will outline the areas I want to stand out to enhance them.

Thanks JeanieG: I was thinking to try a double straight line in the checkerboard and some kind of maybe a spiral in a block, but will wait until the borders are on to see if I get any other suggestions.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Hallelujah! I've finally finished clue #2. It would have gone more quickly had I figured out earlier how to match the points.

After a long search, I've finally found a yellow I'm enthused about. This means I can finally start sewing together the clue #1 broken dishes!

Emma, I am also amazed at how quickly people are able to finish the quilt.
joe'smom, your clue 2 blocks are wonderful. Your quilt will really shine with all those white-based neutrals and dark blacks. Some of my blacks had too much white in them, I'm afraid.

I'm also amazed that people are already done with their tops and quilting their quilts! This is a BIG quilt for me and it's not going together all that fast. I have to measure and adjust seam allowances with every part I sew. Seems the extra thickness of all the seams is playing with my measurements!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Wowzers what beautiful work everyone is doing and FAST!!!! I can't get my camera to work, at Christmas thought it was just the batteries but it is something more won't power up. So sorry cannot share pictures.

I am doing a 4 x 3 and a 3 x 2 version with the left overs. Made up my worksheet to calculate my inner border to fit the outer one with some minor modifications to it. I hope to have the borders sewn on tonight.

This is really fast for me. I am trying to stay at it and decide on a backing and not just add it to the pile of tops waiting to be quilted.

I have no idea either what I will do for the quilting just know it will be on my DM not hand quilted with all those seams. Deciding on how to quilt is the hardest part for me. It leads to many UFOs so also appreciate people sharing their thoughts.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:05 PM

Lisa: I am determined to continue until I have the front and back completed, maybe even the binding prepared. First of all it just makes sense because all the pieces are together and you know the front and the back are the right sizes and most of all no new UFO.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Here are my first four blocks pinned up on the wall. Can't believe how much time it takes to put them together. I'll keep plugging... I plan to do 20 blocks in a 4 X 5 layout, then all the borders. I love that pieced border.
Attached Thumbnails quilts-007.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

The more I work on this quilt, the more I love it. It's so beautiful and balanced.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:33 PM

sewbizgirl, You did something different. You put in a double row of the green squares. I really like it! It keeps the black pattern yet gives a little space. Wish I'd seen that idea sooner.....