Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
Finally got my Grand Illusion flimsy up on the wall at a local quilt shop for a photo. Finished it last week but it was way too big to get a good photo of it on my wall.
Really like your colors and that black border.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:52 PM

Podunk - looks great!! I do like the black border ... will have to consider that.

BTW - if I haven't mentioned it yet, THANKS for starting this thread and taking us all on this journey!!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Podunk Princess: Your colors are great. I think grey green really does a nice thing to this design, then the black border defines it beautifully. Congrats!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
Jeanie, what do you mark your stretch n seal with? The only time I ever marked a quilt for quilting, I used permanent marker on stretch n seal. The marker ended up on the thread and on the quilt. It was bad. Never did get it all out.
Pam, I have always used a fine point Sharpie. I always wash my quilts when done, so have not noticed any problem with the marker transferring to the thread??? The Sharpie ink is real dry before I start quilting. Maybe I'll see if a Washable felt pen will mark on the Stretch 'n Seal, or a regular ball point pen just to be safe. I've used the S 'n S for a lot of quilts. So sorry you had a problem with it. Just like everything else, what seems to work for one, may not work for another. Look at all the ways there were to do the Double Diamond Units!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
Finally got my Grand Illusion flimsy up on the wall at a local quilt shop for a photo. Finished it last week but it was way too big to get a good photo of it on my wall.
Yours is the first I've seen that really shows the movements just looking at it...glad you showed the black border as that was what I was thinking to do too, but didn't know if it would deter from the blacks on the outside rows. I also used black instead of the tourquoise for the larger square, but I think it will add to the illusion on how I finish mine. I am not going to do her outer border. Using my novelty fabric for the outer border. Should pull out the center squares I substituted it for in the quilt, I think. I'm almost done with the second row.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Podunk looks beautiful definately can see the illusion of movement. Great job !
Old 01-16-2015, 12:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Pam, I have always used a fine point Sharpie. I always wash my quilts when done, so have not noticed any problem with the marker transferring to the thread??? The Sharpie ink is real dry before I start quilting. Maybe I'll see if a Washable felt pen will mark on the Stretch 'n Seal, or a regular ball point pen just to be safe. I've used the S 'n S for a lot of quilts. So sorry you had a problem with it. Just like everything else, what seems to work for one, may not work for another. Look at all the ways there were to do the Double Diamond Units!
I read an article that said to use a Sharpie and be sure it is completely dry. It also said NOT to use a regular ball point pen because the ink will transfer and you will have to try to get it out.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:13 AM

just for fun here is the link to the movie trailer "Somewhere in Time" those yellow awnings at the Grand Hotel sure show up bright.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...time&kpevlbx=1
Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Here's the link to the trailer that shows him driving up to the Grand Hotel at the beginning. So sad how Christopher Reeve's life turned out....
Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36EXzADXWc

this is a better link than the first one I posted......although it has several options of music and such.