Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 PM

Sewgirl: I have books that have the continuous line quilting patterns. I take a length of wax paper, though you can use vellum, and trace the design the width of the quilt, then I nest the next row on the same piece. Then I layer as many pieces (up to six) as I will need to cover the quilt and then I needle punch the design with a threadless machine. Separate the layers, then using one, I fasten the piece to the quilt and quilt it. The wax paper tears away very easily. Maybe my using the word "pantograph" was incorrect and confusing.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 PM

Emma, I absolutely love your wonderful quilt. What a beauty. And what a champion to use your stash. Way to go!!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Sewgirl: I have books that have the continuous line quilting patterns. I take a length of wax paper, though you can use vellum, and trace the design the width of the quilt, then I nest the next row on the same piece. Then I layer as many pieces (up to six) as I will need to cover the quilt and then I needle punch the design with a threadless machine. Separate the layers, then using one, I fasten the piece to the quilt and quilt it. The wax paper tears away very easily. Maybe my using the word "pantograph" was incorrect and confusing.
Wow... sounds like a lot of work, Emma!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Emma - Great job!! How will you be quilting it?

Since this quilt has so much going on, I was wondering what type of quilting designs would best suit it - Perhaps doing simple stippling or a linear type of design? What are some of you planning?
Here's one idea for this quilt, if you have a longarm and a LOT of time!

http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.ne...b987ac57d27268
Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 PM

Emma, your quilt is just gorgeous! I really love it! I also have the Brother 1500S. I have only had mine for 6 months or so, and I also just love it. I pieced most of GI on it, as my Babylock had problems after I started and was in the shop. I use the 1500S mostly for quilting.

I make a template of what I want to quilt, trace onto Stretch 'n Seal and quilt through the Stretch 'n Seal, then pull off the Stretch 'n Seal. I usually use it only for borders and sashing. I'll have to try the waxed paper, though the Stretch 'n Seal sticks to the fabric really well.

Last edited by JeanieG; 01-14-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:46 PM

Jeanie, what do you mark your stretch n seal with? The only time I ever marked a quilt for quilting, I used permanent marker on stretch n seal. The marker ended up on the thread and on the quilt. It was bad. Never did get it all out.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post

What a great idea Emma. I am going to borrow it as I am currently doing FMQ on some black borders with black thread. Your idea might make the process so much easier to see what I am doing. Do you press your wax paper layers to make them adhere together before needle punching?
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 AM

Caroline: Usually I just pin them together, but that sounds like a good idea. Have to do it on a test to see if I can get them apart again.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:29 AM

Emma, thanks for all the info this morning! I've never used wax paper, just the golden paper that you purchase. I love your striped border fabric. (I've also used the Press'n Seal product and sometimes it worked great but once or twice I did end up with the ink colouring the thread so haven't used it much since)

It's so fun to see all the versions of our quilts.... kind of funny to see so many with similar colours, almost like making kits.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:44 PM

Finally got my Grand Illusion flimsy up on the wall at a local quilt shop for a photo. Finished it last week but it was way too big to get a good photo of it on my wall.
Attached Thumbnails 20150115_120034-2-.jpg