Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 AM

I'm done. My front is standard per Bonnie. I did use solid yellow, black and white (or neutral). I added the yellow outside border because I wanted a larger quilt. The back looks distorted because I always make a really generous back so if its slightly skewed it still covers the front. I did a close-up of the edge showing the back fabric, and the binding I will be using. I had a lot of fun making this quilt, went a little crazy on the back. Best part of all is every thing that was used in the quilt both front and back including thread came from my stash.
Attached Thumbnails p1130002.jpg   p1130004.jpg   p1130005.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM

Emma, That turned out beautifully! I like the extra wide yellow border. I wanted to put another border on mine but never could figure out what color. Now I know. All those extra blocks on the back.....I'm impressed!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Everyday the quilts get better and better as everyone finishes up. All the different border finishes in all different colors and patterns is so helpful to me, I have finally got one row together.

Emma love your extra yellow border it sooths the other colors down a bit. My yellow may be too bright to try that.
Congratulations everyone on your beautiful GI mystery's
Old 01-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Bravo, Emma. That looks great! Amazing that it's all from your stash. May I ask what you have the quilt attached to for display? I don't know how I'll handle it if I do the full size. My wall is far from wide enough, maybe not even tall enough. I love the striped binding!

I will be happy if I display my finished top before next year's mystery is announced, LOL.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:33 PM

joe'smom"I will be happy if I display my finished top before next year's mystery is announced, LOL."

This goes for me too!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your pats on my back, feels really good.
Whitepine: Don't feel impressed I just can't read directions. I was one of those people that when told to 'put the HST aside' I totally put them aside and made a whole new set. So only had to attach the yellow and the black. If you can believe it, I still have a lot of the pink left over. Love scrappy so they will go in some project down the road.
Windblown: Actually considered using black for both the thin and the outer border. Decided the quilt reminds me of a windy summers day so opted for the yellow. Kind of surprises when it grounded the quilt, didn't expect that.
Joe's Mom: My design wall is made of a rather stiff batting (not what would be used in a quilt) with seamed white flannel on the top. I nailed a white board at the ceiling, then put grommets in the top of the batting and flannel. In theory I can remove it any time and you hardly notice the board, since it is the same color as the wall. In practice it's pretty much up all the time. It is on a wall that has a door in it but I just shut the door if I'm using the whole wall, although if you look, you can see the bump from the door knob.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Karen, your fabrics are just scrumptious!

quilt addict, do you mean, what should you do about having more blocks than you expected? Could you make the charity quilt bigger?
Yes I had more than I expected from week 1, so I made more of the chevron units to use those up in blocks. Now I have 13 blocks so have to decide if I want to make 2 tops that are 3 x 2 blocks or one top that is 3 x 4 which is what I made in the first place. I will not do any additional pieced border though, used all those up on the first one.

But I do have my back pieced for the original top and the binding sewn. Now just to layer, baste, quilt.

Sorry camera broke at Christmas so haven't been able to post pictures.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Haven't finished yet, but did manage to get the first yellow border on. I have the other borders stitched together & ready to attach if I make time for it. This will be a large quilt and I'm not sure what will be it's destiny!

Because my blacks have more white in them than I think they should.... the spinning star effect is diminished....oh well.... another learning experience.... BUT...then again... I wanted to use all fabrics from stash...and in that I was successful
Thimblebug ... It looks Fantastic!! I was really excited to see your's come together because you and I had similar "scrappiness", especially in the greens. I was concerned that some of my darker greens where they appear next to the black might not stand out, but yours sure do. I've only made 4 blocks so far, and none of them sashed, so I can't see my secondary pattern yet.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM

Emma ... Love it! That wide yellow outer border really sets it off. Bravo on the pieced back as well, looks great.

I am loving everyone's quilt tops come together here. They all look fantastic!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Emma, love your backing. I am off to get my backing this week. Joe's Mom, if you don't post your quilt until the next mystery is announced, it will get us inspired to do the next one. Always nice to get inspired by past mystery quilts. Everyone has done such a great job. This is my first BH MQ and have loved every minute of it. Think my DH enjoyed hearing of everyone's progress too.