Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? >

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:08 PM

As some others said, I would check to see if you can actually work in the fabric department or would you have to staff two or three other areas. Also, surely depends on who the manager is. Most of the Walmart fabric areas that I have shopped at in the last few years, Nebraska and Texas, you have to ring a bell for someone to cut your fabric. That person may come from the camera, electronics area or the fish and pet department. I'm not jumping on Walmart but that is just what I have seen.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:17 PM

Personally, I would not. But, then, I'm a self-employed kind of person. I really don't think your hours and pay will work out the way that you want them to. What about tutoring?

Last edited by tropit; 10-14-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
IMHO: No, I would never work at Walmart. They do not treat their people well. I read in the news that they just took health insurance away from 30,000 employees. I won't shop there anymore.
I would rather eat dirt than work at WM. What they do to their staff might be legal but it is definitely not right.
peace
Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 PM

A part time job might be just what you need! but be selective and you will be grateful for your work.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Not at Walmart. I don't even shop at our Walmart. It is a filthy place. Customers leave stuff all over the place. I won't go in there.

However I have visited other Walmart's that are much cleaner and nicer, but I still would not want to work in that type of retail shop. A small quilt shop, maybe....

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Some need to get the facts straight about Walmart and insurance. My niece works part time and could get cheaper insurance through the government then Walmart but couldn't get it because she had insurance through Walmart. Now she can. She's happy but some other part timers aren't happy. They didn't want the insurance at Walmart when hired and now they have to register for government insurance or get fined. Other big companies dropped insurance for part time workers long before Walmart.

I like shopping at Walmart. I save money to shop at quilt shops and other specialty stores so Walmart is helping me give the small stores my business.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-14-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 PM

Thanks for all your input. I wish I knew someone at this Walmart to ask how they like working there and about the manager. The lady at the fabric department didn't seem to dislike the manager. Working hours would be a problem. Not the working, but driving after dark. My night vision is the pits.

Rumor is that a Hobby Lobby is coming to a nearby town. I think I would love that, but I'd be like those of you who said you spent all your paycheck there. I'll look around and see what else there is. I've even thought of Home Depot or Lowes as long as I didn't have to do any heavy lifting.

Last edited by MartiToo; 10-14-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Funny story a while back I ran into a mom from my kids grade school days when I was shopping at wally......she was stocking cards we stopped and chatted about our now college age kids and she looked at me horrified "I don't work here I work for the card company" it cracked me up why be embarrassed where or why you work.
Because it's Walmart. She must feel the same way about that chain as I do.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Some need to get the facts straight about Walmart and insurance. My niece works part time and could get cheaper insurance through the government then Walmart but couldn't get it because she had insurance through Walmart. Now she can. She's happy but some other part timers aren't happy. They didn't want the insurance at Walmart when hired and now they have to register for government insurance or get fined. Other big companies dropped insurance for part time workers long before Walmart.

I like shopping at Walmart. I save money to shop at quilt shops and other specialty stores so Walmart is helping me give the small stores my business.
You are so right ... my hubby is a manger of a national auto parts store and they completely eliminated all full time workers, except the managers. My hubby and his two assistants are the only ones allowed to have 40 hrs., everyone else is "part-time" and only allowed to work 20 - 25 hrs (notice these hours are way under the 30hrs. considered full time for health coverage.) This way the number of full time employees dropped like a rock and this corporation now has less employees to cover. Walmart is not the villain many want to think it is, because many large corporations started cutting full time employees long before Walmart.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Is WalMart the only "villain" here?

How many LQS employees have "full benefits"?