Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? >

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM

You obviously are interested----so why not give yourself a "trial" period? Try it out till Christmas or whatever date you choose---and if it's not what you thought---then quit! You're not obligated to stay........it's not for everyone. But you'll never know till you try.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Personally speaking, I wouldn't work at WalMart, I also won't shop there, but I'm probably in the minority. Do you need the extra money? If so, then I would look for a part time job. If you don't need the extra money, then tell your dh to take a walk.

Last edited by pocoellie; 10-14-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
As others have said you will be the newest worker and have the worst hours of all. Walmart (along with others) were open this year on Thanksgiving and if you didn't want to work that shift you will lose your job. I have 2 till I hopefully retire and have thought about working or volunteering to keep busy but will not be willing to have to work hours and days I don't want to. I would certainly never go to work for Walmart as they are the worst of the worst for employee treatment, just do an internet search about them.
This wasn't supposed to be a quote about bashing walmart! Yes, I have worked there and was very happy with my job. Not everyone who works there is unhappy (more often than not, the unhappy employees are the one who don't want to work for their pay).

Now back to the original post! Yes, I would work there....but....when you are hired there will be no guarantee what department you will get....you can set your availability for hours, but that may limit how much work you get. Unless it is a huge fabric department, there will be only a dept manager during the day, so most of the available hours would be evenings and weekends. I guess it really depends if you want to work fot the money or if you just want to get out of the house.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 AM

Would you actually get to work in the fabric department? All the Walmarts I have been to have no specific person working that department. You have to find someone to do the cutting and they always tell me they work 3 departments, or they work in another department. None are knowledgeable about fabric. I think they float their helpers wherever they are needed. Maybe that is just the ones I have been in.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:56 AM

Try it as others have suggested...if you don't like it ...quit. After I retired I got a part time job at Joann's....I stated specifically at interview what days/times I couldn't work, no prob manager said.....two weeks....quit...kept scheduling me to work on times I could not...

Walmart is no better or worse than other large corporations...........it's what makes us us..can't think of anywhere else in the world I would prefer to live.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 AM

Retail was my first love and career. I spent 13 years in discount and speciality retail. Worked my way into Management fairly quickly too. I was always "recruited" to the next level. Yes, the hours are long, you cant pick your schedule and you are on your feet all day. (Great for weight loss!) . I loved pretty much everything about it, in I fact a few years ago I worked a Part time Christmas job when I was between full time employment jobs. I had a blast!

Walmart is a good company. They get $$$ out of my pocket weekly. No need to be embarrassed! You may surprise yourself when you find that other departments are fun to work in too, besides the fabric department. I was surprised at myself when I found out that I loved working in the shoe department! Baby department....nope. Food service, no thanks. "Returns", bring on the crabbies! Loved it! Human interaction, good and bad. I could write a book!

Sandy
Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by MartiToo View Post
Thanks for all your input. I wish I knew someone at this Walmart to ask how they like working there and about the manager. The lady at the fabric department didn't seem to dislike the manager. Working hours would be a problem. Not the working, but driving after dark. My night vision is the pits.

Rumor is that a Hobby Lobby is coming to a nearby town. I think I would love that, but I'd be like those of you who said you spent all your paycheck there. I'll look around and see what else there is. I've even thought of Home Depot or Lowes as long as I didn't have to do any heavy lifting.

ASK the employees. I love to see their "years of service" on their name tags and I always compliment them and ask them about their experience. You either love retail or you dont. Simple. I could never be a teacher. No thanks.

Go for it!

Sandy
Old 10-15-2014, 03:25 AM

I have worked at Walmart. You don't get to choose which department you are going to work in when you are hired. You don't get to choose what days you want to work or hours! They don't treat their employees very well. No not even in the fabric department if they would guarantee that would I ever work there again.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:50 AM

Only you can decide if you want to work. Be aware that a retail job will require working nights and weekends and maybe holidays. Schedules are not the same week to week. Also, many Walmarts are open 24 hours. As a new employee, you will have little, or no, say about your working hours. Checkout the website indeed.com for jobs in your area.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:05 AM

I have always worked and had a flock of kids at home and I thought when I retired I would be bored silly. NOT! Me and my little weiner dog make knitted baby hats for the babies at the hospital, quilts to donate and for the family, try lots of new recipes and at last I have a real flower garden! Volunteering is very rewarding if you can live without the paycheck. Perhaps you could set up a couple of sewing machines and give quilting/sewing lessons in your home or at a homeless shelter. Or visit a local rest home and visit with the residents. Many appreciate someone to write letters to their families and just to sit with them for a while. Maybe you could do classes there to make walker bags, wheelchair blankets, etc. and encourage the residents to help. There are many opportunities out there for both paid positions and volunteering, just think outside the box.