Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surely I'm not the only one?? >

Surely I'm not the only one??

Surely I'm not the only one??

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Surely I'm not the only one??

Oh my, I have shocked myself.... I have a quilt to make for a baby that is on the way. I was unsure on the quilt top so I bought some coordinating fabric. I now have 2 quilt tops together. I have to decide on a border, binding and backing for 2 quilts now instead of just one. I THINK I just purchased all that I need to finished these 2 quilts up.. so I totaled what I spent on fabric holy cow! $ 188.12 for 2 quilts! Thank goodness I have left over batting and won't have to purchase that too! Now I will have some fabric left (not enough to make a 3rd quilt I don't think) and I did make some mistakes that cost me some fabric, but wow! I am glad I am already divorced or this quilting would probably be the end of my marriage
Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 AM

What was the total amount of fabric that you purchased? $188.12 seems really high for 2 baby quilts.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

That seems awfully high to me. Even at $12 Per yard (and I rarely, if ever, shell out that much per yard) that is over 15 yards of fabric. If I include backing fabric I can make a queen size quilt with 15 yards and still have loads left over. How big are your baby quilts?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

You may be surprised with what you have actually put into the quilts. How big are these quilts? Did you buy yardage or charm packs or jelly rolls. That would all add up. Surely you have fabric left over. What you have leftover or in your stash maybe you can make into strip or large quilt blocks for the backing.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM

ha ha ha .. I was just shocked on how quickly this added up. I sure must love this little great-nephew of mine (and he isn’t even born yet)
In that total is 4 spools of the King Tut thread. I love that thread. I won't use all 4 spools on these 2 quilts, but I will use it up in time. It looks like I purchased 14 yards of fabric in 4 different purchases + 2 yards of Wonder Under... lordy lordy.

I did have a plan drawn up and bought 6.5 yards of fabric for that plan. When I got the fabric I changed my plan.. I got the 2 quilt tops out of that fabric (each 33" x 44") and some left that can be used as a border for one of the quilts (plus I messed up some of that I am sure I have 1 yard scrap - maybe I can use it in a scrappy quilt.)

There are 2 yards of fabric that once I got it in my hands I am not sure if that print will go with the others.. even though they are all from the same collection. Those will have to be used on another project.

I did purchase 2 yards special to try my first real applique. I figure I am going to mess up so I wanted plenty of extra.

Wow! Momma’s going to have to cut back on this fabric shopping
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

It does add up - - -

Especially if one takes into consideration the stuff that is already "on hand"" --

When figuring out the cost of an item, I use two sets of values --

1) Replacement cost of the materials used - considerably more than the cost several years ago!
2) What I actually paid for the materials used - most of the materials I have were purchased several years ago - even using those values, it can be quite an eye-opener!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Yes, it does add up. If I want to buy batiks, I would pay $20/meter regular price. My flyer this month has batiks on sale...also landscape fabrics.....40% off.....sale price is $12/meter. That's still expensive. Cheaper online but online delivery to Canada drives up fabric price.
I had a pattern come from Fat Quarter shop...pattern was $6.50, shipping was over $7, so pattern cost me $14.
Won't be buying much online.
Even if I order from Canadian stores online, it's hefty.
I have only once bought batiks and that was for an extra-special project that didn't use much fabric.

I have been using my stash this year but always seem to need to buy some extra fabric.
Still, making do has its surprises...you sometimes have to get creative and the end result adds a bit of extra gratification and pride.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

YES, we all can agree that it does add up QUICKLY!!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:21 PM

It's amazing how fast it adds up. It sounds like you made some wonderful quilts for two lucky babies. I have to check myself several times before I make one to give away. I think scrappies are fine but when they are cooridating fabrics especially baby fabrics that are only for babies, the patterns get very simple.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Yes, I've done that. Don't feel bad.