Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tie Quilt >

Tie Quilt

Tie Quilt

Old 11-04-2014, 07:03 PM

Default Tie Quilt

When my dad died a few years ago, my mom gave me a lot of ties to make a quilt. It's been 3 years since he's been gone and I thought I'd finally be okay to make the quilts. This is one of the ones I like to make. http://24blocks.com/2014/07/how-to-m...tie-quilt.html The Question is what kind of background fabric would be good for it? Since the ties are made of polyester silk can I use a silk background or can I use cotton? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 PM

Are you going to applique the ties??. My friend made one, she took the ties apart, pressed them open then sewed them together with cotton thread and she used cotton fabric.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 PM

I have recently made them..check my posts. I wash my ties in the machine on cold,gentle,with a couple of tablespoons of dawn dis detergent. I dry them in the drier,cut them apart and press them. I back the fabric with light weight pellon,cut them into block pieces,sew them with cotton or polyester thread with white cotton background. Feel free to PM me. Have at it...they are fun!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

You can use any kind of background you want. Take the ties apart, remove the strip of interfacing that is in them, wash them ( gently) dry them { I use a mesh laundry bag for this step} then press them. Use a fusible lightweight stabilizer on the backs. Then use them anyway you want to. ( do make sure your iron temperature is set appropriately for the fabric ( silk for silk, polyester for polyester) ** silk and polyester are 2 very different fabrics**
A New, sharp needle in the appropriate size for the thread being used is important. I generally use a 60 wt. Thread * poly or cotton * when sewing silk (or finer silk thread) . the background can be what ever you want, regular cotton, flannel, wool, what ever.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I never made one but thanks for the post. My friend has kept her husband ties who unfortunately lost his 10 year battle with cancer last year just days before Xmas. I just emailed her the pattern info.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 AM

thank you for the reminder and information. We have saved my FIL ties, and talked about it last week, DH and I. Maybe we will actually get started some day soon.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 AM

I was asked to make a tie quilt. The ties have been unstitched so I don't have to do that, but I am at a loss as to what to charge. I have my charges for the quilting and binding, but am not sure how to charge for construction. Any thoughts?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:23 AM

I am here with the same question. I was asked to make a tie quilt. I would love to make one but have no idea how to charge for the service. Any responses out there?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 AM

Jratcliff and Kay's Quilting, if you make a pillow top with ties, you'll get a better idea of how much to charge. I made a tie quilt and said I would never make another one. The ties have to be unstitched, washed, dried, fused, cut, sewn, and quilted. It was alot of steps using slick materials. So many more steps than simple cotton fabric. And to tell the truth, I don't think they would stand up to usual quilt wear and tear. The weave is so different, I have mine hanging. I still have ties left and have considered making small art quilts for my siblings but so far, I haven't had the gumption to start.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:19 PM

Thank you for your response. Your input is much appreciated. I will keep this in mind.