Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Child Sized Quilting Supplies? >

Child Sized Quilting Supplies?

Child Sized Quilting Supplies?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Default Child Sized Quilting Supplies?

Howdy y'all

My Granddaughter Lily will be 8 years old in January. Lately she has been talking to me about making a quilt every time she comes over to see me, and she's REALLY excited about it! She has been looking through my quilting books and showing me pictures of quilts she would like to make.

What she doesn't know is that I have bought her a little Singer "Sew Handy" child's sewing machine that was made back in the 60's! It actually works quite well, and she will be getting it for Christmas this year! I also have a little zippered pouch that I would like to fill with sewing supplies for her. So I'm wondering.....is it possible to find child sized thimbles and such? I bought a package that has 2 pairs of matching scissors in it, with the smaller pair being about the same size as kid's school scissors. So the big pair will be mine, and the little pair will be hers. I also got her a round plastic pack of sewing needles. So does anyone know of anyplace that sells quilting/sewing supplies for kids? Any other suggestions as to what I can put into her little supply bag for her? I'd sure appreciate it!

Donna
Attached Thumbnails lilysmachine2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 AM

I don't know anyone that makes child size supplies. But, a pincushion filled with pins would be nice in her bag.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM

What a cute machine. Your granddaughter will love it. I suggest you include machine needles and spools of thread (basic, good quality in neutral colors), a seam ripper, pincushion and quilting pins, some fabric markers, maybe a Purple Thang or some type of wooden stilleto. You might want to get her a notebook so that she can start a quilt journal to keep pictures of her quilts. You might not be able to find a thimble small enough for her, so why not include some of the dots. JoAnn's carries one round type called UltraThimble and an oval type called Thimble-It. Or try a leather thimble. I use the Nimble Thimble. I have to buy the medium, which is a tad big for me, so I use a finger cot on my finger before I put on the thimble.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM

I would include a pincushion, some pins with colorful heads, the little metal seamstress rule, a small sized thimble.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Look at some of these sewing kits that are out there, like the purse size. They also have quilting kits for beginners. You don't say how big her pouch is. I have small fingers and for her little fingers, you may want to pick up a roll of the self adhesive bandage. She can wrap that around her finger enough till the thimble fits the way she likes it. Sounds like good memories are about to begin. When I'm out at any of the fabric stores, I always look for thimbles that fit my fingers. I often have the clerk open the package to see if the thimble fits. Always have a clerk open the package. When I see thimbles that are "xs" size, I grab a package and add to my collection. Never can find one when you need one.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 AM

If you check in antique stores,they commonly have smaller thimbles....don't forget some chocolate!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 AM

What a fun gift! Be careful about getting too many 'child-sized' sewing supplies. Many of the supplies made for kids are of poorer quality, which can actually end up being dangerous.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
What a fun gift! Be careful about getting too many 'child-sized' sewing supplies. Many of the supplies made for kids are of poorer quality, which can actually end up being dangerous.
I agree! Teach her to sew using quality tools and supplies and it will stay with her for a lifetime...the skills and the memories both. Many kids at that age are sewing (and cooking!) on regular sized equipment. They are quite used to things being big.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM

You are going to have so much fun together! Makes me feel good just to think about it.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps also get her a manual and supplies needed to service the machine (with your help). Maybe a sewing kit/box to collect her new treasures as well. Could a pin cushion pattern be a first project the two of you make together?