Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rolling sewing machine tote >

Rolling sewing machine tote

Rolling sewing machine tote

Old 11-17-2014, 04:05 AM

Default Rolling sewing machine tote

I am thinking of purchasing a rolling sewing machine tote bag. I have a Janome DC2014. Any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:27 AM

A lot of people love the Tutto's, but they are pricey.

Years ago, I bought an oversized serger rolling tote for my small machine. I could stuff my zip lock bag of fabric and small rulers, my extension cord and a 12 x 18 cutting mat in it with no problem. Plus, I tied my tools kit bag to the handle and let it ride on top from the car into the building. It sure saved running back & forth to the car when I was going to a sewing bee or a class. It held up to a lot of abuse and traveling for about 15 years. Sadly now, I am looking for a new one too.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-17-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 AM

I bought one at Joanns on sale and was able to use a coupon also. It has some pockets on the side and two separate lift off sections that can hold a lot of stuff. It has an extension handle for the roll around part and each of the additional sections that lift off also have handles. While it solves the problem of transporting the machine across the floor etc. it is still very heavy to lift. I go to a Bee twice a month and I have used it for that. Loading it in and out of the car is my biggest problem. All of my machines are Berninas and quite heavy.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:41 AM

I love my tutto. I figured I spent all this money on my machine, I better get a really good case to haul it in.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I love my tutto. I figured I spent all this money on my machine, I better get a really good case to haul it in.
Ditto. They are pricey but worth every penny. I've got the big one with the embroidery attachment bag (I always keep my attachment and hoops in that bag, even at home) and love it. They have tons of pockets so I often don't need to take any other bags with me when I go to classes - it all fits in the Tutto. I've probably had mine for 10 years or more and it's in great condition even though it gets used a lot.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:10 AM

I have the same problem as mpspeedy, I can't lift a big tote out of the car. I think I bought the same tote at Joanns that she did, with four extra zippered cases to hold stuff. My rule of thumb is, "if the case is bigger than the thing it holds, I don't use it". So I love my small tote on wheels, just big enough for my machine and light enough to lift out of the car. Then I pack in light totes and use lots of zip close plastic bags to keep things neat.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Whatever one you buy be sure it has a helper handle. I always look at the luggage when I go to a thrift store. I have found several like new Tutto and Bernina rolling cases for a few dollars.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Whatever one you buy be sure it has a helper handle. I always look at the luggage when I go to a thrift store. I have found several like new Tutto and Bernina rolling cases for a few dollars.
This is a great tip for saving some money. I am already on the hunt for seriously old vintage machines and I'll include luggage in my search. Thanks!!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:38 AM

I bought a rolling tool caddy from Harbor Freight. It's sturdy and cost a fraction of what the Tuttos are priced at.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 AM

My children never know what I would like at Christmas, so one year I told them to get me a tote. They got it and I love it. Wish I was better at organizing it. I just dump stuff in it and go