Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Bring something to work on..." >

"Bring something to work on..."

"Bring something to work on..."

Old 11-19-2014, 04:55 AM

If u are working on something at home take that but if u are in between projects is a good chance to think about and start another. With others there your project could evolve in another direction. It's soooo much fun sewing with others.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 AM

We have a group that meets every Friday. People bring all sorts of projects - hand quilting, binding to be sewn, quilts to be layered and basted, and sometimes magazines to look at. It's more of a get together than a quilting bee. Of course, some people do bring their machines and set up to sew for the day! Enjoy!!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 AM

Our group brings sewing machines (there were four featherweights there one night) or knitting or hand sewing or whatever. Your charm squares would be the perfect thing. You could sew on them mindlessly and still be able to converse. Then we usually get up a few times and walk around and see what everyone else is doing. Lots of fun.

Once you "pack up your stuff" a few times, you find a system to try not to take too much and don't forget something. Some gals have a suit case that holds everything they need.

Also check out the thread about rolling sewing machine tote in today's digest.

Last edited by maviskw; 11-19-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 AM

Thanks, Everyone, for your great replies. I knew I could count on you. I have been lurking in this group for years but not sewing much...hard to do in my little travel trailer, but I finally have it set up for it. Cutting is a problem, so that would be a wonderful thing to do at a group sometimes. I actually do have a rolling machine tote. I had forgotten about it. My winter company arrives today, so I am hoping I will make it next week. I'm sure I will love it once I get my foot in the door and meet the others. I will let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again....
Old 11-19-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I have a " go-to" kit at the ready...it's hexies for my " takes forever" GMFG...has scizzors,thread,etc. You could also take a rotary cutter,ruler,mat ,and a " collection" of scraps to cut into organized blocks for scrap quilts. Just go,enjoy the day,have fun.
HEXIES!!!!

It's what I work on between projects! Or if I'm in the machine stage before the hand work! Very portabel. If you find you like to do them, keep a little "to go" kit and grab whenever you leave the house. You would be surprised how often you can work on them while waiting.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Bring a quilt with hand stitching the binding, appliqué or embroidery work for your first visit. You can see the set up and what everyone else brings for your next visit.
My first thought was to take some hand work before planning to take a machine etc.
I have done the campground set up and it was wonderful but when I was in groups we did machine sewing on special days only.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM

I am currently working on a yo-yo quilt featured on the cover of American Patchwork & Quilting, June 2011 issue 110. I have made all my yo-yos at my quilting bee and am now sewing them on the strips of fabric. It is a really nice project to take along. Everything up to this point I am doing by hand, but I will machine sew my strips together when I get to that point. This is just another thought.

Last edited by linmid; 11-19-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-19-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lynda in TN View Post
I went to a class at the local fabric store last night and, while there, met someone from a local quilt group I have been thinking about checking out. Of course, she said, "Bring something to work on." I've never belonged to a local group, other than in campgrounds where we pretty much set our stuff up and left it in the recreation room from one day to the next...it's where I learned to piece quilts. One reason I have not joined a local group is because it seems like such a task to pack up a machine and everything, haul it somewhere, use it, pack it all up a couple of hours later, and bring it all back. So, what do I bring? I know it sounds like kind of a stupid question. I was thinking that I have a bunch of charm packs and have been thinking about using them to make HSTs for a future quilt (no particular pattern in mind). As you can see, I am not real experienced and have a difficult time going to a group I've never been to before. What would you guys suggest? Thanks!
One thing to remember when joining a group is to give them, and yourself, time to fit in.Hopefully you will get a great welcome but there may be those there who are a little shy to come forward.I find it may take a few visits to feel part of the group,however ,as with most crafters, people love to share.Go for it.Love Letty
Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 AM

It's the best time to finish the binding (hand sewing), on your quilt or wall hanging.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 AM

I've brought a cross-stitch that I'm trying to finish to our Quilt Bee meeting. Others bring knitting or similar handwork. The most frequent quilt related activity we see is finishing the bindings.

Cheers, K