Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your honest opinions >

I need your honest opinions

I need your honest opinions

Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Sheep and Lady Bugs

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I am making this quilt for a dear friend and have run into a couple issues. I gave the friend the fabric requirements and a pic of the quilt....she bought all the fabric. The first problem is that there is very little color to the fabrics, so that I have a hard time seeing any definition between the grassy hillside and the sky. A couple of the fabrics are white with blue/green dots, so almost no color. I have plans to fmq in yellow rays for the sun, doing grass blades for the green area and something that looks like clouds in the blue. I thought about adding a couple of lady bugs in the green area, so in the pic I just laid a couple in the lightest places. Will the lady bugs be too much color, drawing the eyes away from the sheep? The customer has given me complete freedom to do whatever I think....that could be scary! I think the sheep turned out great, using sherpa for the sheep and making the ears floppy. Sooooo....I am open to hearing any suggestions that will give this quilt a better visual appearance. TIA, Rose
My suggestion would be to not use solid black on the sheep nor solid red on the lady bugs but to use mingled
fabric so the fabric just shows solid from a distance.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:17 AM

I like the sheep very much. Modern looking. It does need to be outlined so you can differentiate between the white parts of the sheep and the ground and sky. I think that's why some people think it's alien looking.

I too would do flowers instead of ladybugs. I believe if you choose the right thread colors to quilt with you can really define sky and ground. I wouldn't worry about quilting grass in. I would just make sure the whole ground area is quilted with the green thread.

Its rs going to be a great quilt. Not necessarily what you or I would choose but your friend will like it.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Flowers or butterflies
Old 12-11-2014, 01:02 PM

What about a curvy trail of smaller bugs,going from right to left under the sheep?
Old 12-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
Since she clearly likes paler shades, maybe a few softly coloured flowers for the sheep to nibble, instead of the very contrasty bugs?
Yes this! Keep it in the very soft pastels. In the past people made quilts with all very soft pastels. I also think outlining the sheep might be helpful.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 PM

I'd try to use a darker green thread and make about 3 passes between the grass and sky, then add the grass blades with the green thread. The way the sheep looks slightly cross-eyed makes it look like he should be staring at a bug or butterfly that landed on his nose. Maybe add a tiny one there, instead of large lady bugs?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM

I like the lady bugs. With the intense black of the sheep, I think it can handle brighter colors on lady bugs and/or butterflies. I think if you quilt the area around the sheep so it's fuzzy parts puff up even more, the sheep will show up better. Adding the grass, etc. that you described will help also. It's a darling quilt!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 PM

The quilt is darling. I would use a soft red with black dots, or stitch in some black dots to the lady bugs. A little black for the bugs would tie it with the sheep. It does need some contrast and outlining the sheep and the quilting of the sky and grass will help you achieve a separation of sky and grass. Choose the quilting patterns wisely for the grass area and a different one for the sky area. Swirls for the sky would look nice and something with vertical lines for the grass area would work. This quilt may not have the fabric you would of picked, but it will be a lovely quilt. Your work is wonderful.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
agree the lady bugs need to be smaller and perhaps a lighter shade of red since the majority of the quilt is palest pastels. maybe a honeybee or cluster of small flowers would not be as distracting. I do see a deliniation between green grass and blue sky so once you define the 4 major elements ..ground, sky, sheep and sun...with FMQ it will very nice!
I think that is a fantastic idea... a honeybee might not steal away as much attention!!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 PM

Maybe a dragonfly with a color more closely related to the green and blue. Dark enough to give contrast but not the sharpness of the red. You could make the wings little flaps as well.