Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Featherweight Machine >

Singer Featherweight Machine

Singer Featherweight Machine

Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Default Singer Featherweight Machine

Hello everyone! I have a friend who is selling a Singer EK923469 Featherweight. She's a beauty. She is asking me to give her a price, and I have no idea. I do not want to insult her and say something unreasonable, but then again, I do not want to pay too much. At what price should I offer her? Advise and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

It really depends on where you live. Up here in the upper Midwest, the top price for a Singer in excellent condition (with case and accessories) is probably around $300. If it is in mint condition, more, but most machines that were actually used are not in mint condition.

I'm not sure, but my feeling is that featherweights are less expensive on the East Coast (because there are more of them in that area, which was more densely populated in the day) and more expensive as you go west and especially as you get into less densely populated areas.

Condition affects price enormously. Look especially at the condition of the gold leaf, whether there are scratch marks or adhesive marks on the bed of the machine and elsewhere, condition of the case (if there is one). Oil cans add some value to the accessories. A blue "century" medallion on the machine can add some value, as does a fancy face plate (covering the left side of the head). Fancy face plates are supposed to mean an earlier machine than a striated face plate (straight lines up and down the plate). However, over the years many people have swapped out parts so that it is quite possible to buy a later machine with earlier curlicue face plate and/or century medallion.

For a working machine only, sans case and accessories, price is around $150-200 where I am.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It really depends on where you live. Up here in the upper Midwest, the top price for a Singer in excellent condition (with case and accessories) is probably around $300. If it is in mint condition, more, but most machines that were actually used are not in mint condition.

I'm not sure, but my feeling is that featherweights are less expensive on the East Coast (because there are more of them in that area, which was more densely populated in the day) and more expensive as you go west and especially as you get into less densely populated areas.

Condition affects price enormously. Look especially at the condition of the gold leaf, whether there are scratch marks or adhesive marks on the bed of the machine and elsewhere, condition of the case (if there is one). Oil cans add some value to the accessories. A blue "century" medallion on the machine can add some value, as does a fancy face plate (covering the left side of the head). Fancy face plates are supposed to mean an earlier machine than a striated face plate (straight lines up and down the plate). However, over the years many people have swapped out parts so that it is quite possible to buy a later machine with earlier curlicue face plate and/or century medallion.

For a working machine only, sans case and accessories, price is around $150-200 where I am.
I agree with Prism99. If it has a case and accesories, no more than $250-275.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Banned

Color affects price too. White or tan ones can cost twice as much as a black one and crinkle finish ones around 4 times as much, about the same as a 222 free arm.

Cari
Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Have you tried it out? The bobbin case is a pricey item if you have to replace a missing one. Also, check the condition of the wiring. You can look up the serial number to determine the year if that matters to you.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 PM

I have seen them for around 200, but as some say it all depends on condition, included accessories, etc. Me personally I would not pay more than 200 unless it was in really good condition
Old 12-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Around here, if I find one in a shop in good shape (working, decent electrical, with accessories & case) the price is usually close to $400. I don't know if they're actually SELLING at that price, but that's what I keep seeing. BUT, I live in wine country so this is probably one of THE most expensive places to buy something like that - everything around here is overpriced!! Online, I see prices more in the mid to high $200's.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:30 AM

I would not pay more than 250 unless it is a rare one
Old 12-30-2014, 04:51 AM

Just last week a Featherweight 221 sold for $250 at a local estate sale. It was in great condition and had the accessories in the box. Someone got a very nice present.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:11 AM

I believe it is up to her to set the price. You can offer her what you want to pay, with the warning that it may not be the best price she could get.