Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Mug Rug Swap! Febs Green White Cream mug rugs! sign up closes Feb 1st >

Mug Rug Swap! Febs Green White Cream mug rugs! sign up closes Feb 1st

Mug Rug Swap! Febs Green White Cream mug rugs! sign up closes Feb 1st

Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM

I love the whole pig thing (er....whole hog????) lol My baby girl who just turned 9 loves piggies and I believe that anyone who owns or is owned by a pig has wealth beyond measure! (We have 3 obese pot belly pigs!)

I totally get it. (Historically)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:46 PM

I guess I look at like this... I get what I get and I don't pitch a fit!! I am tickled with whatever as long there are NO GOOBERS on it. Goober-Free that is for me!! Instead of worrying about what if I am happy with what is. When I made Terriamn's Mug Rug last month (the Victorian One) that was my interpretation of "traditional." Every one has a different perception of what is what. I am REALLY glad she liked it.

Now will ANYONE please tell me what the pillow case method is instead of binding.???? Lynnie must be really sick - I -haven't see anything from her on the board for a couple of days.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:56 PM

I don't have a problem with whatever anyone sends. I was just saying that I don't really get the connection of pigs with St. Patrick's Day & that my husband wasn't helpful! Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I pm'd Elisabrat right after posting & told her I'm fine with either.

Pillowcase method -- put front & back right sides together with batting behind one piece, sew around the mug rug, leave a 2" or so opening, then pull everything out through the opening. And a mug rug is born!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM

I actually like the pillow case ones… or bringing the backing around to the front for binding…. less bulk on the edges for either of those than regular binding. Which makes sense to me, for a mug rug.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 AM

I'm sorry if I started a "deal" about making mug rugs in advance before we are assigned our partners.
I'm always happy to get what I get. Matter of fact, I usually say, "Surprise me!". I know most of us are like that, too.
My question was how can I make it in advance if I don't know in GENERAL what my partner-to-be likes? As there are some who have specifics of say, "No St Patrick's please". Which if I had made in advance, and made a St. Patrick's theme, it wasn't going to work so great...
But our awesome hostess Brat has answered she's okay with the extra work of trying to assign partners with special requests...
So my question is answered.
I'll wait to get my partner, others can wait, or go ahead and make. As Brat says, Tada!

Patchesnposies,
Thank you for your kind words, and understanding. Meant a lot to me.

Vitality,
Agreed!!

Regards all,
Kif
Old 01-28-2015, 05:05 AM

Patchesnposies -- So you're into pigs? LOL ... Well, I'm into cows, so I actually understand that one! But we don't own a cow, much to my dismay. And I don't think I've ever seen a pot-bellied pig, but I have heard of people who keep them as pets. I work with a lady who is into pigs, as evidenced by the photos & calendars surrounding her desk -- makes it easy to gift her with something she loves!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 AM

I have made mug rugs with both the pillowcase and traditional methods...I like both...gives them different looks...when I do the pillowcase method, I then do a stay stitching around the outer edge about 1/4" in all the way around...seems to give a nicer finished look. With pillowcase method, you won't get a frame of color around your rug...with traditional method, you do have a bit more of a frame around your rug and I like the teensie bit more bulk as it gives the mugrug more stability? That's just my opinion, but I will be happy with whichever method my partner chooses to make?

I am excited to see which one of you ladies I get paired up with so we can chat and get to know each other better and I can find out just what might make you happy!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:17 AM

I laugh when you all call it.. the pillow case method. I call it flip a B.... yup not very fancy wording is it? Its pretty simple and easier for those who don't like to do or don't know how to do binding. Its as I have been told by a very experienced quilter.. cheating. I don't care either way what I receive but do think learning how to do your binding on a small piece sets you up for more success when your doing a larger piece such as a.. QUILT. binding is not hard to do Missouri star quilt company has great free tutorials on things like this. in fact their quilt tutorials are super easy for beginners to earn with. its camera right on the hands that really helps. I need to see it to get it so much of the time. if you go to pinterest in and type in tutorial for binding you will get so many hits on sites with instructions. worth your time to learn is all I am saying. No rules saying you CANT not bind but if you can you should try. plus I agree it makes a nicer finished look for your recipient. just a thought....

now onto sign ups! please take your time sending me a PM with your name, address, phone number and if you want green/cream white mug rug or if you don't mind or prefer even a St. Patricks Day themed mug rug and you too can participate in our fun swap. Tons of messages back and forth on the board, lively crew of players and you will enjoy this swap tremendously! so join today! come on in! if you your interested please join the fat quarter swap this month we are having two swaps. one for st. patricks day colors and one for ugly fabric you might just want to rehome! so tons of fun on the quilting board! there is a great mini wall hanging swap run by Tlambing that is also easy (mug rug size!) and a nice group of ladies are there also. jump on in! the water is warm!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM

I can do regular binding...I prefer to do the bring the backing around to the front, fold it under so I have a finished edge, and miter the corners...on smaller quilt projects, and sometimes even on my larger quilts.
The few times I've done the pillowcase method, I also stitch all the way around about a quarter of an inch in. It reinforces the closure on the "turn opening" (Kifasaurus words again), and I'm like rwquilts, I like how it looks. I think if you do it in a contrasting thread, it would probably look more like a binding..hmmm...ideas, ideas...

I've watched some really great shows on Quilting Arts where they are making postcards, raw edge finish, but they do decorative stitching using decorative threads around the edges, and sometimes do more than 1 time around and different stitches... they're so pretty.

I tried it on some of the extra Christmas ornaments I made for the orny swap here. I did use pinking shears around all edges, then did decorative stitches with metallic threads. I thought it turned out pretty nice. I won't do that on our mug rugs or mini quilt swaps here on QB. But I may try it on something I'm keeping.

Brat, I'd think an experienced quilter would know not to say "such and such is cheating". As someone has to be the 1st to try something...and if nothing new is ever tried/done how can we learn?
How dull the world would be if we all did the same thing...or liked the same things...

I collect pigs. It was a collection that was "started for me" years ago by a friend's hubby...and somehow it took on a life of it's own...lol

Regards,
Kif- aka: NOT an experienced quilter, but one who just loves to quilt!

Last edited by kiffie2413; 01-28-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Dorothy, thanks, I was really sick. on the mend, not 100% yet. it's sewing all around, and turn insideout and slip it closed, does that make sense? I don't care which I get. Love it all. put your best into it, that's what counts. I've received both types and love them all. I keep two on my coffee table at all times. Dh loves it coz it's a crumb catcher. we each get one. so I don't care what I get green or themed. have fun!