Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you!? >

Would you!?

Would you!?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Default Would you!?

I happen to be on ebay checking out some things and saw ads for having your quilt top quilted by a person with a long arm (some of the prices were extremely reasonable). My question is this would you entrust your quilt top to someone you didn't know and also has anyone done it. If you did were you satisfied and would you do it again? This may sound completely insane but I have made 2 tops for my elderly neighbors and I told her about them before the holidays, she is indirectly asking about them and I don't know how to tell her that it could take a while for them to get the quilts because right now I can't afford to pay for them to be quilted. I have thought about completing them on my DSM but that is another problem because she loves the fancy quilting she has seen on my other quilts. I would really appreciate your feedback on this situation before I do something I may regret.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:03 AM

I have never sent a quilt to anyone to quilt for me but I would only use someone I trust locally if I did. You might have to explain to her what the process is and tell her how long it will take. You might have signed up for more than you bargained for. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:04 AM

You can always look at their ratings reviews, If they had a low score I wouldn't. The problem is you can't see their work online unless they have samples posted
Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

here's a list of board members who quilt for hire:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...s-t169702.html
Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM

Here are my guidelines if I don't personally know the longarmer:

1) They have a significant online presence with many examples of their work. Examples are Judi Madsen, Margaret Solomon Gunn, Carla Barnett, etc.

2) I have glowing recommendations from at least 2 other quilters I personally know and trust.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 AM

I have used the quilting services from someone online who I had never met, Happy crafters in a little town in Kansas. (Happycrafters.net) Their prices were very reasonable and even with shipping less than half of my Local LAQ. But, I tried them out first with a quilt top that wasn't a special gift quilt, just one that I made for me because I wanted to try the pattern and fabrics. Their work was acceptable to me---they have 20 or so repeating pantograph patterns to choose from. The result is not as striking as the custom, original work of my LAQ, but I feel I get what I pay for with both. I have since sent two more "non-special" quilts to them, and would use them again. I believe there have been other posts about them so you can search for them and look at their website.
I would also take a chance with one of the EBay services, but again I would try them out first with a "non-special" quilt first. Overall, I think we get what we pay for, and will continue to use my local LAQ for special wedding quilts, etc. that I want the original, custom quality I get from them.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM

I use someone all the time ... I've never met her. Her ebay user name is polly-parrot and her Etsy listing is quiltingbug

She is in Missouri

I did like Jeanne S suggested - I sent a quilt top that was nice but not spectacular .. and she did a great job ... her turnaround time is awesome, and her prices ROCK ... she supplies batting and backing!!!!

I've looked into the cost here in Ottawa, and even with shipping and handling (and me having to buy the batting and backing) she is still cheaper by more than half ...

Here's a couple of pics of stuff she has done for me:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508423[/ATTACH]

On this one, she even fixed my points in the middle because I couldn't LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508424[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508425[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508426[/ATTACH]

the back

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508427[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0019.jpg   nans-quilt.jpg   img_1274.jpg   music.jpg   music-4.jpg  

Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

There are many of us here on the board who quilt ( long distance) all the time, and, you can visit our picture posts and see our work.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Is there anyone local you can hire? Postage costs can add considerably to the cost of quilting, so be sure to add that in if you use someone long distance.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:40 AM

I normally use a local quilter to quilt my tops theres a few in my area but I did send one to a quilter here on the board. I have seen many photos of her work her name is charisma and she did an excellent job and I was very happy with her price and work. im usually in too much of a hurry to send something out that far as she lives in wa and I live in ok. I also don't trust the us mail that much as they've a lost a pkg or 2 of mine in the past. that quilt was a gift for
a company in mi my husband made it to present it at a convention, we were going to attend.
Carla m